MBP 5,5 new HD compatibility

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by losingstreak, Jan 7, 2011.

1. losingstreak macrumors newbie

I am looking at these two HDs to replace in my version 5,5 MBP.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0711-Index-_-LaptopHardDrives-_-22136280-L01C

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...22810-Index-_-LaptopHardDrives-_-22136692-L0D

The later one had a review that said the buyer could not get it to work on his MBP of the same version. I just wanted to clarify and see if this was true. If it is, then what HD should I be looking at for around $60? I got a lot of help with picking this Mac here, so I figure I could get good help with this dumb question. Thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I've seen plenty of folks with 500GB Scorpio Black. Maybe the HD he got was defective or he just didn't have a clue what he was doing. No need to worry, both will work

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

^^ i concur with hellhammer, there is no incompatibilities between that HDD model and your Mac. it will work perfectly fine :)

were you thinking of getting the 320gb or 500gb?

the 500gb may be *slightly* louder, nothing crazy though.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It shouldn't be. Both are double platter drives (2x160GB and 2x250GB) and run at 7200rpm so the only difference is that the 500GB is denser. Of course you may get a Monday sample but the same could happen with the 320GB model.

And you can't know is it louder unless you have both ;)

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i wonder how much heavier the 250GB platters are over the 160GB platters :)

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

500GB weighs 111g while 320GB is 99g. Assuming the only difference is the platters, it makes it 6g heavier per platter or 0.067g heavier per GB ;)

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

do you think it wise to assume the 500GB has a slightly more powerful motor for the spindle to account for changes in weight? at such high spindle rates the forces and power/torque required to keep it spinning must be phenomenal.

8. losingstreak thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help. I figured he did something, but he said he went to Apple about it, so you never know. I think I will get the 500 GB since it is larger for only a little bit more money.

9. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

10. Mikey7c8 macrumors regular

Scorpio Blue's definitely don't work, not sure about the blacks. Bought a 500Gb seagate for mine.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

huh? they will work.

12. losingstreak thread starter macrumors newbie

13. davidlv macrumors 65816

Not for everyone. I tried a Scorpio Blue 500gb in my 2009 MBP, constant beachballs and even writing in textedit would slow down so bad it simply wasn't usable. Swapped that out for a Seagate Momentous 7,200 500GB and everything was fine. Later swapped to a Hitachi, same specs, and it was fine too. Too lazy and no reason to swap back to the Seagate, so it is regulated to backup status in a USB enclosure. So IMO the WD was a proper Fail, and the Seagate and Hitachi are great, both quiet, fast with no perceptible vibration or noise. :cool:YMMV:cool:

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The same could have happened with any drive. Just because you had a bad drive doesn't mean that they all are.

15. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Yes and No. It's $10 cheaper if you include the Free shipping from Amazon vs $5 shipping from NewEgg