MBP 5,5 Warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imbty, May 10, 2010.

1. imbty macrumors newbie

I have the 3-year Apple Care shindig.

It's not even a year yet, and I've had the forced reboots: grey screen coming down from the top which contains numerous other languages.

I thought it might just be software, but it rarely happened, so I didn't care too much.

For Christmas, I upgraded by 160GB to 500GB and 2GB ram to 4GB.

It's all fine, but lately, I've been getting more forced reboots. I've noticed most of the times, it's when I'm exporting with Adobe Lightroom.

Just the other day, the screen started to flicker so I had to reboot.

Now my question is, how should I go about getting it repaired. Is Apple anal? I don't really have proof of the screen flickering. I live in Vancouver, Canada, and I don't really wanna drive an hour to one of their retails and get shut down for repair.

I also work with photos and go to school, I wonder how long it'll take to repair.

Also, how often does Apple give "free upgrade" due to repairs. My old HP laptop had to be repaired twice, so they eventually just gave me new hardware.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you can't reproduce the issue in the shop, I wouldn't even bother taking it in unless you want Apple to keep your computer for 24 hours for triage.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

+1

You really need to have some proof unless you're VERY lucky meaning that they give you a new one without even looking at it. I'd take a video when it happens next time as otherwise you're driving for nothing

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you try running the apple hardware test found on your install disc for a period of time, to see if that uncovers any issues?

5. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

The same was happening to me with my new 15" 2.4 i5.

It was happening at least 10 times a day. Apple got me to wipe the Hard Drive and run the Apple Hardware Test and that did not fix the error.

So because I was within 14 days of purchase they sent me a new one out as they said if it was a software error it would have been fixed by the re installation of OSX and if it was a Hardware Error it would have came up on the Hardware Test.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

If you can , film it with your phone or something. I had an issue that wouldn't reproduce itself in the store until I figured it out, then I had it repaired, figured out what was wrong, and brought it back AGAIN lol by my Apple Store is close so no biggy.

Apple will not give you a full machine replacement yet. It takes a few repairs to open that door.

7. imbty thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I do have a video. You can hardly tell, but you know some parts was flickering.

Thanks guys. I just want my Mac to work properly. Having to reboot isn't too bad, it only takes a couple of minutes, but it's a hassle and it means there's something wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6Ev1raaC2U

a little small though.