MBP - 7200 rpm HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EYESPORTS, Mar 2, 2008.

1. EYESPORTS macrumors member

I am going to order a MBP with the 7200 rpm hard drive. From what I read on these posts - I want the Hitachi (HTS722020K9SA00). When I go to order the MBP online, it does not mention brand of hard drive. I called Apple and they said that they can't tell me either. They said if it's not the right one, I can return it (not to store - but send it back only - plus there will be a 10% restocking fee). Any suggestions on getting the Hitachi? Thanks.

2. GanleyBurger macrumors regular

GanleyBurger

Store v. Online

I would by at the store.

You will get it right away and can take it back if need be.

Online is just asking for weeks and weeks of waiting.

Perhaps the people at the store will know what's in the box.

Call and ask if they have one with a 7200 rpm drive.

17" or 15"???

If your are a student or a teacher, etc., you can get the discount at the store.

3. higgz macrumors member

higgz

I got the 7200 couple weeks ago and wound up with this one...

Hitachi HTS722020K9SA00

(edit) okay yeah that's same one you listed, guess I lucked out I had no knowledge the used different ones?

4. EYESPORTS thread starter macrumors member

Ganley,

Can't order the 7200 rpm HD at the Apple Store - it's online only.

5. JCT macrumors 6502

No, some retail stores carry the 2.6GHz/7200RPM 15.4 version -- they call it the "ultimate".

JT

Oh, and mine came with the Hitachi HDD.

6. EYESPORTS thread starter macrumors member

The store I went into (here in Long Island, NY) - said that they did not carry it and it could only be ordered online. Also, going from 2.5 GHz to 2.6 GHz processor seems that it would add on another $250. It's difficult to get thru (or the tel. number to the individual stores).

7. JCT macrumors 6502

I bought mine at the store in Stamford, CT. Actually, my better half went for it because with the EDU discount it wasn't quite as much and he prefers buying in the store vs BTO in case anything is wrong with it.

Bear in mind that some of these goofballs in the stores are very ill-informed. I *called* the Stamford store and the guy on the phone suggested the machine himself. When he got there (1.5 hrs later) -- the sales guy swore they didn't have anything like that and it was only a BTO! Pretty crazy -- had to go to the manager to get the machine.

JT