MBP 8,2 VERY strange problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by grizlee, Aug 8, 2013.

1. grizlee macrumors newbie

I've Googled for about a week and no one on the interwebs has described the same problem as I'm having, so here goes nothing...

Less than 24 hours after bootcamping my MBP8,2, I went to restart, using the "Boot Camp Control Panel" inside windows. After the initial windows install, I hadn't been back into Mac OS until this point. As I click "Restart", I walk away for about 5 minutes. When I came back, the screen was still on the Gray Apple boot screen. This is very unlike my Mac as this is an i7 with an SSD and 16GB of RAM. I've recorded cold boot times of under 11 seconds. So I hastily held down the power button and shut it down. (Lesson Learned) Upon reboot, while holding Option to ensure I select the Mac partition, I hear the Startup Chime, but the screen stays black…………… My stomach begins to tie itself into different variations of sailors knots. And so begins the troubleshooting process:

• Completely black screen/No Backlight
    • No Image when showing flashlight through Apple/Holding the flashlight downward at the Screen
    • Single Startup Chime
    • No Power to USB/Can not boot to external device
    • DVD receives power/But I have a Non-functional SuperDrive
    • SMC Reset works, but has no affect
    • PRAM Reset does not work
    • No boot key combinations work
    • Sleep light fully illuminated and responds to auto-dimming when blocking light sensor by iSight
    • Keyboard backlight does not turn on
    • No caps lock light
    • No volume change sounds
    • Fans running on low
    • HDD Spins up (Swapped out SSD for an old HDD to see if it was getting power)
    • Removing/Reseating each RAM stick does not have any affect, tried with each one in, different slots, etc. Every possible combination.
    • Detaching Optical Drive has no effect
    • Detaching Hard Disk Drive has no affect
    • SSD still works when mounted in another computer.

I think I covered everything. I'm trying to avoid a trip to the Apple Store, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. grizlee thread starter macrumors newbie

I know I posted this early yesterday morning, so I'm hoping someone see's it this time... If not, I'll know I have to go to the apple store. :(