MBP 8GB RAM Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jaredwaynef, Sep 12, 2009.

1. jaredwaynef macrumors member

So, I'm going to be purchasing a new 17/15" MBP within the next couple of months. I know 8GB of RAM is overkill in most cases, but I found a set of 4 GB sticks on Newegg (link at end of post) for under $300, which I found to be a pretty good deal (considering upgrading with Apple is approx. $1000). Yet I'm not too confident with my skills of hardware in a laptop. I know its easy to swap out RAM in a laptop, but I don't want to risk anything. Is there anyway I can bring in the RAM from Newegg to the Apple store to upgrade my MBP and not screw my warranty? Or is this just a lost cause? Any and all help would be welcome!

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231210

2. felt. macrumors 6502a

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Magnusun-Moss Warranty Act, read it.

You cannot void a warranty by opening up your computer, the only way to have your warranty voided is for apple to be able to prove that you adding ram to their user-upgradable machine has caused whatever problem you need your warranty for.

Upgrading ram is easy, it requires just enough brain cells to turn a screw in the right direction, plus 2 or 3 more to understand the self-explanatory diagram printed on the inside of the memory panel. It took me all of 5 minutes, including the time it took me to open those dreaded plastic enclosure ram comes in with scissors, and finding my set of small screwdrivers hidden away at the back of a cupboard.

Do it and save your money.

4. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

5. jaredwaynef thread starter macrumors member

You know that crossed my mind briefly, but for some reason I thought they were still running on DDR2. Well thanks for the help on that then. That pretty much resolves my dilemma. Once again, thanks guys.