MBP 9400M vs MBP 9600M GT - performance is it worth 300$

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zaciek, Jul 14, 2009.

1. zaciek macrumors newbie

Hi there, i want to buy newest Macbook Pro. The problem is graphic card used in 15" MBP. Performance in digits from here shows that the 9400M is worst than older brother - 8600M GT. Apple wants extra 300$ for "better performance" of 15" MBP.
    Is it worth it for me? I haven't play any game since 8 years. Now im using 24" 2.8GHz & 20" 2.0GHz iMacs, but i need some easy to carry computer. New MBP will be my main machine for work on apps from adobe (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign and once in a year After Effects to make video from vacation). Does any one knows, how the adobe suite works only with 9400M GPU or the 9600M GT is "must have" to work for me without frozing apps and saying "omg, its so f** slow" ;) In the future i want to upgrade HDD to SSD & 8GB ram.

Thanx for any suggestions

2. flashcrosma macrumors newbie

easy answer! if u want longer battery life, get 9600m. if u persue deep good performance like game, video or graphic design, get GT! it really depends, as i like longer battery life and i don't do much intensive video or graphic design, 9600m is far enough for me!

3. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

If you are not going to play high end games at full quality and if you don't want to add the heat that 9600M brings in - by all means 9400M will do just fine.

Bear in mind the 9600M brings in lot of heat when used - you definitely do not want to use it for casual work.

4. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

For most people, the lower-end 9400M is good enough, even for gaming purposes. I have no complaints whatsoever even with Call of Duty 4 running on my MBP with a 9400M. That extra cost is gonna hurt. I would personally shell out the cash for an SSD instead ;)

Lol you mean the 9400M*

5. neteng101 macrumors 65816

If you want the 9600GT, then buy a closeout 2.66 instead, it gets you 512MB VRAM and the ExpressCard slot... the new panels (compared to an older 15" uMBP) and SD card slot loses in this case, IMO. The older early 2009 2.66 will support 8GB memory.

6. zaciek thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that, the real performance for me is hidden in SSD & more ram. As i wrote, i'm not a gamer and never be. Summary - 9600M is only usefull for the games?

7. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

IMO, yes. But most would probably dispute me on that....:eek:

8. Cavanboy18 macrumors regular

watching HD movies so there is no tearing >.>. but Really if your never gunna play a single game you wont have to worry about it.