MBP 9600M driver update for XP under bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kntgsp, Apr 9, 2009.

1. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

I was wondering if there's anyway to update the nvidia drivers for the 9600M under an XP partition in boot camp. The drivers Apple uses with Boot Camp for the graphics cards are usually ancient.

I found a couple mentions of laptop2go.com or something but most of the responses from people involved them BSOD'ing or getting dramatically reduced performance (I'm assuming it just turned off hardware acceleration completely).

So yea, is there any effective way of updating the drivers?

The reason I ask is because Left 4 Dead randomly crashes and XP gives me this nvidia_nv4_disp driver has failed or something or other. Click ok, but the computer continues to run fine, so I restart and keep playing. One time it gave me a BSOD, but that was after twice getting the nvidia_nv4_disp failure.

I can play TF2, Fallout 3, Hitman Blood Money, etc for hours without so much as a hiccup, but Left 4 Dead for some reason gives me that driver failure.

Help :confused:

2. kolax macrumors G3

nVidia now officially supports laptops.

They might still be in beta form, haven't checked for a while..

3. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

+1, they are still beta, but I use them for my macbook pro (8600m) and they work very well.

Or if you feel like dealing with unofficial drivers (but possibly better ones...) go here:

http://laptopvideo2go.com/