MBP - a good time to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GeorgeD, Aug 10, 2007.

  1. GeorgeD macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2007
    #1
    I'm looking to buy a MBP but I'm worried once I buy it, it will be updated (possibly when leopard is released). Do you guys predict an upgrade any time soon for the MBP and is it a good time to buy one now? Thanks :)
     
  2. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    #2
    It was updated in June so most likely it won't be upgraded until sometime next year so it is a good time to buy.
     
  3. jdechko macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2004
    #3
    Can you wait until October? If you need it now, it's an excellent time to buy. If you can wait then your patience will net you Leopard. If you can hang on until early 2008, who knows how you'll be rewarded.
     
  4. GeorgeD thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2007
    #4
    well, I am a student, so buying it before the 16th of September gets me a discount and a free ipod. Does anyone know if I still get the discount without the ipod after the 16th? Thanks:)
     
  5. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    #5
    Yeah you still get the discount. the free ipod is a back to school promotion. if you go on the apple site you can go to the education store to buy the mbp or you if you go to the apple store you can get the discount there by showing your student id or some proof that you are currently enrolled at a school.
     
  6. aliquis- macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 20, 2007
    #6
    It's still rather fresh so go for it, and do it already since you get the iPod and can use the machine for a longer time.
     
  7. MacDawg macrumors P6

    MacDawg

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2004
    Location:
    "Between the Hedges"
    #7
    The 'buyer's guide' tab at the top of the page is a great resource in knowing when to buy based on updates and refresh times.

    Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]
     
  8. fedgirl macrumors member

    fedgirl

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2007
    #8
    I was in the same position as you were and I just bought my lappy now, you won't regret the decision. Why wait? If you need to buy the laptop as I did, I had a lappy that was falling apart, no keys, screen was off, then its reasonable to go for it then to wait. If you are not in desperate need as I was then wait. Its your call. If you have an operational peice of computer equipment, then wait, if not, then buy. Yes, Leopard is something I am sure we all want, but we can wait and get it later on, no rush. Besides, at least you will have two operating systems later on. I plan on upgrading to Leopard after the first update has been complete.

    Think about what I said.

    Good luck in which ever you decide to do, you won't regret getting the lappy now or later.
     
  9. rev316 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2004
    #9
    Unless if they're updating it within a couple of weeks. Just buy it now; start enjoying your Mac, and stop killing yourself. :)
     
  10. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

    vicious7

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2007
    Location:
    Jacked into the net...
    #10
    Its a great time to buy. New screen and chipset a couple of months ago. And manufacturing is further enough down the line that the screen problems should no longer be an issue AND you should also get the new iLife, too.
     
  11. Leehro macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2007
    #11
    If you qualify for the free (after rebate) ipod nano, i'd buy before leopard.

    They're not going to improve the specs before leopard ships. The ipod is worth $200 and students can buy OS X for $69.

    You could sell the ipod if you don't need it, buy leopard, and put the rest towards other stuff you'll need for your mac.
     
  12. aliquis- macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 20, 2007
  13. Metzgermeister macrumors member

    Metzgermeister

    Joined:
    May 27, 2007
    #13
    Just buy.... it's a great machine and recently it has been updated. I did the same, I was waiting and waiting. First for the Leopard release and after that because the MBP was due for an update. Then after June 5th I ordered. I was rewarded for the waiting, but I also know that in half a year there will be another update...and so on. Like that you won't ever buy a MBP...
    ;)
     
  14. GeorgeD thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2007
    #14
    i totally agree with this. every 6 months or so apple updates the MBP so pretty much you will always be outdated unless you buy right when there is an update i guess..
     
  15. chaddech macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2007
    #15
    BUT - what about screen quality issues?

    Have the screen quality issues been resolved?
     
  16. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

    Cybergypsy

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    Central Florida!
    #16
    Mine was just the profile, a five minute change and its perfect
     
  17. roxnadz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2006
    #17
    Personally, I'd wait for Rev D.

    This is the first run at an LED backlit notebook for Apple. This is also Apple's first run at SR innards. At least for me and a few others who got their SR MBPs have had big issues - and not just with the screens.

    I was fortunate enough that my work got me my SR MBP. However, my MBP has KPed or spontaneously rebooted at least once a week since I got it in mid-June. My other MBP, a CCFL C2D, has KPed ONCE and locked up twice since I bought it last year. No spontaneous reboots.

    Just my $0.02.
     
  18. GeorgeD thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2007
    #18
    But is has been 2 months since the update so I would assum most of the problems have been corrected, such as the LED screen. right?
     
  19. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

    EvryDayImShufln

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2006
    #19
    I think this is a great time to buy. Videocard is awesome, the machine feels snappier than the old C2D and the LED screen is a big improvement, as well as a faster FSB, much longer battery life, etc.
     
  20. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    #20
    the next update wont be till february anyway so nows a great time
     
  21. GeorgeD thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2007
    #21
    February? Is that for sure? how do you know?
     
  22. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #22
    I wouldn't go that far. I think an update sometime before Christmas is likely, even if it's only an increase to CPU and HD. However, your point to the OP is dead on: buy now, because it's a powerful machine that will serve you well even before Leopard comes out.
     
  23. erandall38 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2007
    #23
    Being a student he might not be able to wait since school is starting up now.

    I have had a few friends ask me this same question.
    You have too look a what you will gain and loose by buying now or waiting till october. Here is the MR link to buyers guide and explains on average when an update should happen. According to the average on here it should be about 4 months. http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

    If you buy now, you can get a free ($100) printer, a free ($200) iPod, $110 off Apple care, the ability to have a laptop at school, and the satisfaction of having it NOW.
    But if you buy now you loose out on a free copy of leopard ($69- look above at user leehro post), and also have the possibility of there being a new update.

    If you wait till leopard to buy then you get Leopard for free ($69) and the possibility that if there is a update you will have the latest and greatest.
    But if you wait to buy you loose out on $410 of freebies (printer, iPod, Apple Care), the satisfaction of having it NOW, and the simplicity of having a laptop at school.

    This all holds under the fact you would take the free iPod, Printer, and discount on Apple care. as well as you don't have a computer to use at school right now.

    Financially it would be more intelligent to buy now to get the freebies you can easily pawn off to other college students and get the good discount on Apple care if you like it. (If Apple care is always offered at a student discount , please someone correct me) You will have to spend $69 later, but you will get $410 in freebies now and that great satisfaction of actually having the new computer NOW. Obviously you will not sell those two things for resale but I just sold my free Nano for $150 and the printer for $75, so if you are looking down the "pawn it off" lane then you will still get $225 dollars cash to put towards Leopard and beer money (Dorms, gotta love em) and $110 off Apple care.

    Now about the update, I just do not find likely, but with Apple that is always possible. And please ignore any posters on any forum that says they know a release date of any Apple product before it is publicly announce, because they don't.

    Good luck, hope you pick one up, and I know you will love it!
     
  24. djkny macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2003
    #24

    The free ipod/nano deal is nothing to write home about. Those iPods need a serious update -- at the very least, a 6G iPod with touch-screens is in order. The nano's will be updated very soon, too, so forget the freebies.

    Wait for Leopard on an updated MBP + new Ipod in late-October.
     
  25. erandall38 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2007
    #25
    No where in my post did I say it was going to be some cool new piece of technology.
    I said he can sell them for cash. iPods are selling like hot cakes still, even though they are not good enough for you.
    Buy now and you get enough cash from selling those items to buy leopard and have some left over to start your RAM fund. Or even use some of the left over cash to buy a new 6 gb iPod that is coming out in october, just ask djkny, he knows all about it.
     

Share This Page