MBP a1226, latch/power button LED's do not illuminate. Did I bork them?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by birdbirdbird, Jan 12, 2012.

1. birdbirdbird macrumors newbie

This is my first Mac. It's a mid 07' model a1226 Macbook Pro that I purchased for $50 off a gentleman on Craigslist. Originally, it had a broken LCD panel and a few keys that had been ripped off the keyboard. After repairing and/or replacing said parts the thing's running like a dream (a $250 total, I might add), and I'm chuffed to see what all the Mac OS fuss is about.

However.

While it's a small problem, it's one that bothers me a little bit. After I reassembled everything, I performed a hardware test and everything passed. However, I've started noticing that the tiny LED's that sit behind the power button and the front latch button aren't illuminating anymore. I double checked all the connections again to be sure I hadn't left something unplugged, no dice. Everything that should be plugged in most certainly is. Additionally, I ensured that the other lights and such are all working fine (keyboard backlight, capslock/numlock keys, iSight camera "On Air" indicator...) and everything else checks out. Have both of these LED's just burned out, or is there something I missed in putting this thing back together? To be quite honest, this is my first Apple laptop that I've ever attempted a repair at (not counting an old Wallstreet G3), so I wouldn't be surprised if I had overlooked something simple like a bonehead.

Thanks in advance.

2. Makosuke, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012

Makosuke macrumors 603

You may have already been using the iFixIt guide when you took it apart, but in case not, it shows exactly which cable controls the sleep light behind the latch button in step 32 of this guide:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Install...odels-A1226-and-A1260-Lower-Case/685/11#s3583

It's hooked to a flat cable that sits on top of the hard drive. Since the IR sensor cable is hooked to that same flat cable, you might use a remote control to see if that works or not; if it doesn't, maybe something happened to the flat cable; if it does, presumably something happened to either the wire or the connector (LEDs burn out so rarely that seems unlikely).

As for the power button, there is no LED behind it; Apple hasn't made a glowing power button in a while. (Also, just to mention the really obvious, that front LED only illuminates when the computer is asleep--I assume you know that, but it never hurts to mention it.)

3. birdbirdbird thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, checked those two cables twice now, they're as snug as a bug in a rug. I followed your suggestion and just tested the remote. Works like a charm. Can't figure out what might be wrong in this case. I've only ever had one LED ever burn out on me, and it proudly served for ten years before calling it quits.

Oh, I had no idea that they didn't light up. They certainly look like they're supposed to.