MBP A1286 ... survived water spill?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eejjpp, Aug 3, 2012.

1. eejjpp macrumors newbie

Always a fun first post to be making.

I'm out of town, and just over 36 hours ago managed to knock about 25ml of water onto the keyboard of my MBP. (mostly around the #/upper row of letter keys). I immediately did exactly as this article: http://guides.macrumors.com/Spilled_Liquid_On_My_Mac_or_Keyboard
    instructed. Within a minute of the incident, it was off, upside down and being gently dabbed with something lint-free. The battery is built-in, so unfortunately I had to leave that on. It was left upside down on a towel for ~36 hours before being re-started. I didn't put it in rice, for fear of a small grain wiggling its way into any openings.

Currently, it's just on so that I can transfer my most necessary files onto an external hard drive, and it's definitely going to be handed off to an AASP as soon as I'm back in civilization. Are there any immediate signs of damage for which I should be looking though? According to System Info, my battery health is normal, no screen issues like flickering or anything, all keys on the keyboard work, trackpad is fine, etc.

I feel like a first class idiot. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. minnus macrumors 6502

you should have put it in rice anyways. rice you can get out. water...not as easily

edit:

a quick test would be a performance benchmark. run a common benchmarking program, and make sure the results are what you expect it to me (aka, similar to other machines of the same model). if it is significantly slow, you wouldn't know what is damaged, but you'd have an idea that something in the chain degraded.

3. eejjpp thread starter macrumors newbie

would XBench suffice?

4. minnus macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with benchmarking software outside of CPU burners (Prime95, IntelBurn, etc) and various graphical hardware tests (furmark, Heaven).

I'm sure XBench is sufficient - as long as there are repositories of results you can reference (and if not, I'm sure someone on here with the same model would be willing to assist with providing some figures).

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000