MBP about to turn 3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tyler23, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

So my MBP (bought 7/2009) is about to turn 3 years old. I have AppleCare in effect until August of this year. As of now, the only physical issues with my MBP are a missing foot and a creaky hinge that also pops and clicks.

No major issues running it either, just slow-downs here and there, but usually it runs quite well (currently on 10.7.4).

I was thinking of bringing it in to an Apple Store while still under AppleCare to have them fix the foot and the hinge. Now, can I ask them to run some tests to see if everything is still working properly or if anything can be replaced while still under AppleCare? If so, what things might they replace at this point with my computer's age, that would apply under AppleCare?

Thanks in advanced for advice/suggestions!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

They can run some diagnostics rather quickly, and if something is amiss, they can take care of it. But if all shows good, they won't replace something, just for the sake of replacing it.

3. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

I understand they wouldn't replace anything just for the sake of replacing it, that'd be nice but not at all expected. I'm just wondering if running diagnostics would be something they'd do, and if there are any problems found, what would they most likely be at this point in my MBP's life?

4. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

This thread got lost in the WWDC day shuffle :p

Bumping this in hopes of a little more feedback if possible :cool:

5. danetello macrumors 6502

you can give it a try and see, worst thing they can say is theres nothing wrong and you will not have lost anything

6. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I would definitely have that hinge checked by Apple. I had a similar problem with a G4 iBook that was a common defect in that model. There is cabling in the hinge that can be costly to repair should it fail.