MBP AC power

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brentg33, Aug 10, 2008.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

Hi, i have a mbp for a year and half or so now and this week had to get a new battery.....the old one wasnt lasting very long...i believe it only had about 15 cycles on it...i used AC power almost always....so now that i have a brand new battery....and use my mbp primarly at home...how bad is it to use AC power most of the time?

2. kolax macrumors G3

No - but it doesn't help the battery health if you only let the battery go to 50% then start charging it up again.

If possible, when using battery, let it go down to as close to 0% before you plug it back in again. I know in real life circumstances this isn't always a possibility, but it does help with the life.

3. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

but after its fully charged again....should i stop AC power and run off the battery? or can i continue to run AC eeven after 100% chg?

4. kolax macrumors G3

5. Fabiano macrumors regular

if you use it plugged most of the time, you can keep going like that, but be sure to calibrate your battery once a month.

how to calibrate your battery: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

I use mine connected to A/C 95% of the time (I drive an external 23" Cinema Display which needs the A/C power). My MBP is 18 months old using the original battery. I've only re-calibrated my battery 3 times and it still measures 93% capacity at 5 cycles.

I think "once a month" is overdoing it and time consuming. Every 6 months would seem more reasonable.

Just my 2 cents. :)

7. Fabiano macrumors regular

Well, its Apple recommendation, so they should have a good reason to say that.

8. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Where does it say that in the KB article you supplied?

Every "few months" is not "every month".

9. kolax macrumors G3

Calibrating the battery just for indication purposes and doesn't actually affect the health at all.

I haven't calibrated my battery for ages, and even though my MBP said I had 10 minutes left, it actually lasted for about 40 minutes before going to sleep.