MBP Accesories - HDMI

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by manapple, Mar 22, 2011.

1. manapple macrumors member

So I want to connect my new MBP to my music system and TV, so that I get 5.1 sound out as well as HD quality video. Now I know that most of you are directly connecting your MBP to the TV, but not through your audio system. I am not very interested in this approach. I have an Onkyo amplifier (805) that would accept the incoming feed from the MBP and then pass it onto the TV. Should I buy the moshi HDMI out? Any idea if it will work? (Currently my PS3 connects to the amp)

Also, the new MBP talks about thunderbolt wire. But even the previous edition had the same out. What is the difference this time?

thanks.

2. jabbawok macrumors regular

jabbawok

I've connected my 2011 MBA to my mates Onkyo home cinema amp. Worked a treat. I got a mini display port to hdmi adapter off eBay for a few £ (make sure it says it carries audio) and a five meter hdmi lead so I can sit on the sofa.
    Getting mac os to output 5.1 is a fiddle but google will help you there.

3. dal20402 macrumors 6502

It's the same physical port as mini DisplayPort, but an entirely different and much more flexible protocol. It's not just for displays anymore.

http://www.intel.com/technology/io/thunderbolt/index.htm

4. manapple thread starter macrumors member

Okay, so....is the hardware that was there on the previous MBP's exactly the same a this one? I just bought a cable that connects my mac to my onkyo...but this cable was built last year....is there something like an outdated cable?

thanks again.

5. manapple thread starter macrumors member

Hey, i just bought an hdmi out connector...

http://www.lynx-india.com/shop/inde...r-mx-3073&productID=13650&ukey=product&did=36

but i am not getting a 5.1 out...just 2 channel.

and btw, why did you buy a 5 meter hdmi, when you could just get the apple remote?

thanks for the replies