MBP Accident - Can anything be done?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marie123456, May 29, 2010.

1. Marie123456 macrumors newbie

My laptop fell today. The port where you put the charger in is bent and actually appears to be cracked, like if you pushed hard enough it would just fall right inside of the computer. I did try to put the charger in anyway to see if it would work. It did not.

Is there anything that I can do? I don't have money to get a new one right now.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Do you have homeowner's insurance? Sometimes you can get it covered under that. You could also see if your credit card offers some insurance. You won't be able to get it fixed by Apple without paying a lot for it.

3. Marie123456 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have Renter's Insurance. I can't imagine my stupidity/accident would be covered but I'm going to look into it. I don't even know where my battery is -- but is there a way to charge it externally? I usually use my laptop at home for a few hours here and there so I don't really need it for a long duration of time in a day.

I have a lot of important pictures (of my son) on my computer that I really want to get off of it.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Well you have nothing to lose, right?

Unfortunately no; the battery is non-user-removable anyways.

The photos are stored on your computer's hard drive, and unless it was damaged during the drop they should be intact. There are multiple ways to get the photos off your computer;

• If you have a spare SD card lying around you could insert it into the slot and drag the pictures onto it (assuming your MBP has an SD slot- what model is it?)
    • You could sign up for DropBox and store your pictures in your DropBox folder. From another computer you log into your DropBox account and the photos will be there.
    • You could remove the internal hard drive, buy an external enclosure, install the drive into the enclosure, and access the contents from another computer.
    • You could burn the pictures to a CD or DVD.
    • More that I'm not thinking of at the moment.

Is there any way you can post a picture of the damage?

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Depends on your policy and who you've gotten your policy with, but some will definitely cover damage, accidents, and theft minus whatever your deductible is. Definitely check with them.

Unfortunately, there isn't... sorry. :(

6. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

This? No?

Nevermind then if his battery is non removable.

Still a cool product though!

Attached Files:

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I guess it depends on what model she has.

8. Marie123456 thread starter macrumors newbie

I found my battery :) It says Model A1175 on it. I googled it and I was able to find some external chargers going from $40+. The ones I found were not from Apple directly. I'm not sure how worried I should be about that?

Right now, my laptop has no charge. It won't turn on at all. It had a tiny glowing light and I pushed the power button thinking it was in sleep mode and then it wouldn't turn back on. I don't think it had much of a charge when it fell so I'm thinking the battery just died like it would have normally.

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Ah, so looks like this is one of the older macbOok pro models back when batteries were removable.

I guess an external charger is fine if it's a major brand, but even so, even the removable batteries were not meant to be charged without being inside of a MBP.

10. soms macrumors 6502

soms

11. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem