MBP ACD Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by MacHiavelli, Jul 21, 2011.

1. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

Hi

I use a MBP hooked up to a 30" ACD.

In Snow Leopard, I could:
    (1) close the MBP lid and it would go to sleep
    (2) click the external keyboard/mouse and the MBP would wake up and pass the video signal exclusively to the ACD.
    (3) I could then open the MBP and its screen would stay blank - this helped with keeping the MBP cool.

But in Lion, this no longer works.

I do (1) and (2) above, but when I open the MBP at step (3) the MBP screen flickers back to life - even though I don't want it to.

Anyone know a solution for this?

I can leave the MBP in clamshell mode, but it heats up a lot and the sound of the fans going round at 4000 RPM is amplified by having the lid closed.

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

New feature. This allows people to plug in an external display and close the Mac display all without having to put the machine to sleep first. I'm sure it inconveniences a lot of people, but I welcome the feature. A USB or wireless keyboard/mouse might be useful in this situation.

Also, I'm pretty sure leaving the display closed does not cause that much more insulation and heat, since the vents are in the back, and most of the heat is dispersed through conduction through the unibody anyway.

Either way, hopefully Apple adds an option in the future to revert to the old way, as I'm sure half of the people would be very happy.

3. MacHiavelli thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

Thanks, axu539.

That explains things for me!

It would be nice to have the option because at the moment I have got the MBP open to help with ventilation but the screen blacked out by hitting F1 to reduce the brightness: though this means the graphics card is working harder to supply two monitors even though I am only using one.

I agree ventilation is meant to be from the back, but it seems to me that having the lid open does help as the fan speed drops when the lid is open.

Would be nice to have an option to turn one of the screens off when not being used.