MBP acting very weird

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmoroy, Mar 31, 2010.

1. cmoroy macrumors newbie

So this started yesterday after I tried to consolidate my itunes library back on to my internal HD I got an error message saying the disk could not be written from or to. So i got a different external and was going to try to consolidate everything to that HD except it was full so I ran disk utility to erase that HD. I left for work and came back this am and my computer was froze so I did a force shutdown and rebooted. It took about 20 minutes to boot up and was going extremely slow. Tasks were freezing up and eventually I got a pinwheel for everything I tried to do so I did another force shutdown except this time I could not get it to boot up. After several hours and reseating the battery I finally got it to come on again but it was acting strange still. When I opened mail my inbox was gone and I was prompted to set up my mail account again. I wanted to run time machine but somehow it has been turned off and not been backed up since Feb. Any advice as to whats causing this and what I should do about it?

2. Rafalski24 macrumors regular

Doesn't sound good, I would assume some of the registry has been messed up. Is there anything that you absolutely need of the computer that wasn't their in Feb (or whenever the last Time Machine back up was)? If not then just re-install the operating system and restore from TM. Sorry I can't be more help, maybe someone knows exactly what happened and how to fix it.

3. Robb.Penoyer macrumors member

Hey man... it sounds like your hard drive is starting to fail. Sorry. There is no "registry" in MacOS. The long boot-up time could be due to the file system checks taking a very long time, which is usually a result of sector repairing occurring. The running slow may be a direct result of failed data seeks etc. You can check this by looking at the logs from a command prompt (terminal window) in /var/log I believe the system.log would have and file system check information in it.

My advice, if you have an external drive, restore a bootable image of your hard drive to it and boot your machine from it. If all your troubles go away - problem solved.

If a hardware failure HAS to happen... always let it be the hard drive --- it's the cheapest to replace (if you are backing up)

4. cmoroy thread starter macrumors newbie

I just put a new HD in here in Feb is it common for some of them to fail so fast?

5. Esquare macrumors member

About 3 percent fails in the first three months. Use your warranty.

6. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

7. cmoroy thread starter macrumors newbie

My main external is a WD 500GB Does anybody know how I can recover my inbox from gmail?