MBP advice re: superdrive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by domino87, Mar 19, 2009.

1. domino87 macrumors newbie

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction, I'm new here so please forgive me if my question is dumb... I've had a search but couldn't find the answer to my question elsewhere so here goes.

I have an early 2008 Macbook Pro. All has been great up until recently when a lot of cd's I've been trying to burn in iTunes have suddenly stopped burning a quarter or half way through the process although occasionally one will burn properly. I have tried using different cd-r makes but it's the same problem. I don't get an error message, as far as the machine is concerned it seems to think it has been successful. It's getting to be rather expensive with the amount of half written cd's in the bin! There doesn't seem to be a problem with ripping cd's however. I don't write dvd's so I have noticed nothing wrong there.

So basically my question is - Do I need a new superdrive? Why do most of the cd's fail to burn 9 times out of 10?

Thanks for you're help!

:)

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. domino87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup... same story again though sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. However the ones I've been trying the majority of the time are a fairly cheap Maxell cdr... got through a few packs over the last year with no probs.

4. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Have you tried resetting the PRAM? .. and of course correcting permissions.

You might try just a general clean up with Onyx.

5. domino87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'll give these a try :)

6. domino87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, but what do you mean by correcting permissions?

7. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I mean 'repair'... you can do that in Onyx under 'maintenance' or go to applications->utilities->disk utility and click the "first aid" tab and then 'repair permissions. I honestly doubt that correcting permissions would solve this problem, but it's worth a try.

Did resetting the PRAM not help?

8. domino87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope :( Sadly none of these things has worked..

I have tried burning at 6x 8x and 12x speed but it only completes the first couple of songs and spits it out... I have also tried using different makes of CD-Rs.

9. domino87 thread starter macrumors newbie

This morning I was almost able to burn a disc completely but it failed on the last track.
    I bought myself a lens cleaner cd type thing and I tried to burn cds following this in the hope it might just be dust or something causing the problem and now it fails to burn before it's begun and makes a strange noise I have not heard before. I can also hear it powering up to burn and then it slowing down which repeats until it fails.

:(