MBP after-sleep display problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vinegret, May 9, 2008.

1. vinegret macrumors newbie

MBP penryn
    leo 10.5.2

happened two times
    i close the lid and the laptop goes to sleep
    i close it in the middle of work (was listening to music, writing email and so on, so all my applications are opened), so i close the lid, it goes to sleep, after a while (doesnt matter how much time, really) i open it and see this:
    http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/4509/p1140091vi3.jpg
    (mirror: http://maccentre.ru/board/files/p114009111_142.jpg )

obviously i need to force restart (shut down) the laptop
    is it because any the of programms that i have ? cause that's what i've been told but to be honest i have no idea what kind of soft might be causing it..

any help please ?

2. Kaupa macrumors regular

Hi,
    i had the same a few times, but the login screen was ok and after logging in it was gone:confused:

3. vinegret thread starter macrumors newbie

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

defective video card

go to an apple store

not much we can do about defective hardware

and i really dont think thats software related

5. vinegret thread starter macrumors newbie

but if it's a hardware problem and because of the videocard, shouln't it be not working at all ?
    cause after rebooting it's ok now
    i thought if something's wrong with the videocard, it just should emm not show anything at all...
    it's working fine now, but it scares me, kinda...

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

defective video could produce artifacts that you wouldn't normally see...

7. torpy macrumors regular

Huh, and I thought I was the only one with that problem.

This normally happens when I've been carrying it around for sometime, such as when I've got a long day at uni and don't turn the 'book on until the end of the day or so.

A reboot (which usually takes sometime after this happens) always fixes it. Plus, if its a hardware issue, from what I've seen on other cards, shouldn't it show up when the GPU is under stress? I've played long hours of Crysis on this with no visible artifacting..

8. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Yup, my video card seems to be going to, I'm getting odd artifacts after sleep to.

9. vinegret thread starter macrumors newbie

right, it actually might be because of the software
    putting your machine to sleep with all the apps open is not a good idea as i've been told
    you need to close all the apps
    i just log out (and it closes all the apps obviously) and then put it to sleep
    so if you're experiencing the same problems when putting it to sleep in the middle of your work just closing the display lid, then yes, there might be the same
    i haven't noticed this problem since then because i log off now
    will be watching it
    i really hope it's soft

10. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

Mine did this once as well. It was the second day I had it. But has not done it since. I've had it for six weeks. If it did it again I was gonna bring it in to the Apple Store, but have not seen it since.

[​IMG]

11. KC2 macrumors regular

Wow...strange timing to catch this thread...

I've had my 2.4 MBP since the end of February 2008 (the new Penryns), and I had this problem for the first time last night. Before bed, I put the MBP to sleep, like I usually do, plugged into the external monitor (MBP lid shut) - only Adium was running, as usual.

About 10 minutes into getting to sleep, I hear the Superdrive kick in, and the machine wake up. Turned on the external monitor, and saw an image not unlike the few we've seen in the thread. I unplugged the DVI cable to the external, and nothing showed up on the MBP LCD.

Needless to say, had to force a reset via the power button - hopefully it won't happen again! And I sure hope it's not a hardware issue!

12. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

go quickly to the apple store and get it taken care of before worse things happen or your applecare runs out!

13. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Let me clarify a few things for you since you seem to be a little more confused that you should be.

Putting your laptop to sleep is a feature which enables you, the user, to 'pause' your activities and quickly resume them. If you constantly close down all applications and even log out, there is not much time gained from just shutting down the laptop in the first place, because you need to open up all apps again and all your documents. Alas, this so-called 'feature' will then quickly become a useless and stupid nuisance for you, the user.

Sleeping your laptop saves all your information stored in the RAM on the disk and upon waking again, reads all that info again and you're good to go. If something goes wrong here it can be software or hardware related. If you experience no problems with closing down all apps, it might indicate it's software related.
    This is not necessarily a good thing because you need to troubleshoot the darn thing instead of just bringing it in to an Apple Store and let them fix it. First of all, I would recommend that you keep a list at hand where you write down which apps you have open when putting it to sleep and when the error occurs. After a few times, you can narrow down the culprit. Then try sleeping your laptop with only the suspected apps open. If you find an app that is open and produces the error consistently, huzzah! If not (and this is most likely) you should try a reinstall, reset PRAM, SMC, the usual trouble shooting stuff. If this does not work, then it's most likely a hardware issue.

Thanks for reading. :)

14. torpy macrumors regular

Already tried a PRAM/SMC reset - no go. Haven't done a reinstall just yet, haven't found the time to do so..

15. remora macrumors newbie

I had the same pixelated problem and my AppleCentre said it was a logic board problem. Get it replaced.

That seems to have corrected the pixels but sometimes I get the problem where the MBP wakes up but with a completely black display. Pressing F2 doesn't brighten the display and, eventually, I have to shut it down and restart.

http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/mad.gif

16. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I would also take it to the Applestore and have them check it out.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sometimes it will go away once and then you think it's okay; get it checked out and fixed so it goes away permanently.

18. KC2 macrumors regular

For those of you who have experienced this problem, and actually gotten a replacement for your MBP, do you show them evidence of this? Photo of it happening? Describe it in words?

I definitely want to get this fixed/replaced if I have to, but I'm worried they may not believe me. This would be my 2nd replacement (replaced it one day after my original b/c of the yellow screen problem). Do I just wait until it happens again and take a photo? Are there ways to replicate this problem? I've only had it once (see my earlier post), but I want to fix this ASAP!

Thanks!

19. vinegret thread starter macrumors newbie

by the way
    as i understood
    if i log out and then put my machine to sleep
    and if it happens again (when logged out) then it's a hardware problem right ?
    cause then no apps are going to be on...

ps. does it make any difference how you put your machine to sleep (closing the display lid or selecting 'sleep' from apple menu) ?

20. KC2 macrumors regular

I don't know the answer to your first question (new to Macs and Leopard myself), but to help diagnose this problem...

The one time I experienced this pixelated problem was Sleeping the MBP via the Apple menu, hooked up to my external monitor with the MBP lid closed.

21. vinegret thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i'm kinda trying to trouleshoot the softaware that might be causing it
    if it then continues, i think i'm gonna have to replace it...

22. 7031 macrumors 6502

I get the same issue. Seems to be related to SMCFanControl.

23. KC2 macrumors regular

To help you troubleshoot, the only programs I had running when I slept it and it auto woke pixelated were:

Adium
    Google Notifier (mostly to notify me of GMail)

24. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

I actually had this happen to mine last night. I closed the lid on my MBP to put it into sleep and take it over to the bed and when I opened the lid back up the screen was black. I don't think it ever fully went into sleep though because the white light on the front wasn't flashing it was just lit.

I have also had an issue where when I leave my MBP on at my desk and it goes into sleep mode after a period of time, when I wake it the screen looks like it's displaying tens or hundreds as the colors setting instead of thousands or millions. Has anyone else had this issue and found a fix? I haven't called Apple about it yet.

25. a4abt macrumors regular

I'm having the same issue with my MBP. It only happens when I boot my notebook with my external monitor plugged in. So I have to unplug the external monitor, boot the notebook, and then plug back the external monitor. It's very annoying, but once it's booted up and the external monitor is plugged in, everything works fine. I don't think it's due to a hardware problem. Apple has had several issues lately with external monitors :(