MBP Airport Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Circuitspec, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Circuitspec macrumors newbie

So for some reason it seems like my MBP has a really weak airport card or something. It gets occasional drop outs and almost never connects with 4 bars even though my linksys wrt54g is just in the next room. When my sister was home, she compared her MBP to mine and while hers got great connectino all the time with no drop outs and fast internet all the time, mine was still at 2-3 bars and the internet randomly doesn't work for about 20 second intervols at random times. I took it to the genius bar and they didn't do anything, they pretty much told me to deal with it. I don't understand, does my MBP just suck or is it not set up properly what?!!?

Thanks in advance!

2. Sptz macrumors regular

Hey man I totally understand you. This is completely unacceptable, my MBP 2.4 SR has the same problem, the router (Belkin N1) is on my brother's room, 10 meters way, and I cant even get to my bed, I cant lay down a bit with my MBP to surf the web or something, no signal... but on my desk I do get a good signal (sometimes) but if someone puts in front of my door (which leads to the room with the router) my signal drops out loool doesnt make any sense... my GF's white macbook has EXCELLENT signal everywhere, even on my backyard... I WISH I could get signal on my backyard............ some guy at the apple store said it doesn't have anything wrong... they didn't even opened it to check it out or something... I really don't know what to do also...

3. Circuitspec thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, wow. That is my exact same problem. It's like every thing is good like my router and networking but the other macs get way better connection when they move around. It's just as if my MBP airport has a really weak airport card because when I am at my desk I get no connection but once I move into the hall which is 1 meter away I get full connection. It's like I cant move out of this certain range of the router and the second I just move out of that range my MBP drops and sucks. It is really frustrating because this is my new college laptop and I cant have the internet not work all the time. But I don't want to buy a new one because $$$$$$ and I am trying so hard to fix this one!!!!! I need help lol.

4. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

5. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

It seems to me that most wireless range problems lie with the wireless router rather that with wireless clients, such as Airport. My wireless router used to be a Linksys WAP54G. It had very limited range, even with my old PowerBook G4. It was mostly useless when it wasn’t in line of sight of the PowerBook.

A couple of years ago, I replaced the Linksys with a Belkin Pre-N wireless router because of its superior range. I’ve never had any range problems since. In fact, I get a good signal on my PowerBook, which I now keep in the kitchen, which is about 75 feet away and around 2 corners from the Belkin.

EDIT: In the interests of science, I just took my MacBook Pro into the kitchen and set it up next to the PowerBook. Both were receiving strong signals from my Belkin Pre-N wireless router.

6. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

I have the same problem on my MBP 2.16GHZ Core duo 15" running Leopard 10.5.3. It's the same on any network i'm on.

At home i have an airport express (n). Before that i had the 'g' airport express, and the problem was the same then.

Really annoying - especially when trying to use airtunes...

I don't know what to do. I thought 10.5.3 would fix it - but no.

7. Sptz macrumors regular

gwsat, I had that router, the linksys... now I have a Belkin N1... same crap ...

8. Circuitspec thread starter macrumors newbie

But you see, I made this thread because your problem is different then. We don't have a router problem, the linksys wrt54g is fine, but my MBP is the problem. The way I know is that, my sister, with the exact same computer sat next to me and we compared out airport signal strength. Mine dropped out to one bar or zero right next to hers while her computer got full strength, so I am assuming my airport card is shot or the antenna on the airport card is bad. But I am still not sure, becuase it might also be a software issue rather than a hardware issue. I am glad to find others with the similar problem thoguh to talk about it with.

9. Circuitspec thread starter macrumors newbie

But you see, I made this thread because your problem is different then. We don't have a router problem, the linksys wrt54g is fine, but my MBP is the problem. The way I know is that, my sister, with the exact same computer sat next to me and we compared out airport signal strength. Mine dropped out to one bar or zero right next to hers while her computer got full strength, so I am assuming my airport card is shot or the antenna on the airport card is bad. But I am still not sure, becuase it might also be a software issue rather than a hardware issue. I am glad to find others with the similar problem thoguh to talk about it with.

10. Circuitspec thread starter macrumors newbie

11. Circuitspec thread starter macrumors newbie

12. Sptz macrumors regular