MBP Aluminum 2:50 Battery Life?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hawkeye411, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Hello,

I have a new 15" MBP Aluminum. It's the 2.53 GHz with a 320GB 7200 HD.

I don't seem to be getting very good battery life. I just unplugged the power cord and it estimates 2:50. I only have Safari and Mail running. I am connected over WiFi and Bluetooth is turned on. The screen brightness is at the lowest setting. I am running in Power Saver mode with the lower powered video card. I conditioned my battery when I first got it.

Here is what iStat provides:
    Cycles 8
    Health 100%
    99%, 2:50 remaining.

Here is the Power information from the System Profiler.

Model Information:
    Serial Number: SMP-xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx
    Manufacturer: SMP
    Device name: bq20z951
    Pack Lot Code: 0000
    PCB Lot Code: 0000
    Firmware Version: 002a
    Hardware Revision: 000a
    Cell Revision: 0100
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 4282
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 4643
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 8
    Condition: Good
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): -1571
    Voltage (mV): 12094

The other day, I unplugged the MBP and took it to work. I only turned it on when I was teaching. I used the mini adapter to connect the MBP to the projector. After I taught, I closed the lid and when I got home the power was down to 10%.!! So I was only able to get about 1.5 hours out of it for the day. The screen was on full brightness when I was teaching however.

Are other getting less than 3hrs battery life? Does this sound about right? Any suggestions?

Cheers.

2. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

Sounds like it isn't sleeping correctly maybe?

Also what did you use it for while on battery power "teaching" doesn't say what apps, what sort of load, etc..

1.5 hours is pretty low, when I'm on battery I turn off the backlit keyboard, put the display as low as possible, and close it whenever I'm not typing (note taking) and I've gotten just under 4 and a half hours from that (with 21% remaining charge when getting home).

3. Hawkeye411 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Yes your right .... When I was teaching I was using PowerPoint, and Mail and Safari were on as well.

4. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

I have the same laptop as you and currently running off battery power. I have 65% battery and my estimated life left is 3 hours 22 minutes.

Maybe you have some settings different or possibly a bad battery.

The other day, my highest estimated time started at 6 hours 19 minutes starting from a full charge. It did not last that long as I got just over 4 and half hours on it.

5. c3m macrumors member

did you turn off bluetooth when you put it to sleep? it might be the reason why it keeps waking up in sleep and also are you using the high performance video card? The only time I get less than 3 hours is when I used the high performance setting with wifi. Otherwise I get 5 to 5.5 hours with lowest screen setting and wifi on.

6. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

2.5 hours sounds about right honestly. I have a 2.53Ghz 320GB configuration too, I get 3 Hours if im not doing much with the brightness turned down and slightly over 2 at full brightness.

The "old" 2.4Ghz macbook pro i had previously was about the same as well.

7. David N macrumors member

I'm getting similar battery life to you after a full charge... I haven't been able to get over two and a half hours off a full charge yet with similar use :(

I've calibrated it twice since I got it and it's not getting better... I'm annoyed haha

8. Hawkeye411 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

That's quite a difference. I am going to try to cycle the battery completely and then get a new reading. Then I will try to determine the actual battery life I am getting. If it's not close to yours I guess I will have to take it in to get serviced.

9. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Also, here are my power specs :

Manufacturer: SMP
    Device name: bq20z951
    Pack Lot Code: 0000
    PCB Lot Code: 0000
    Firmware Version: 002a
    Hardware Revision: 000a
    Cell Revision: 0100
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 4683
    Fully charged: Yes
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 4723
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 20
    Condition: Good
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): -1177
    Voltage (mV): 12317

10. Hawkeye411 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

OH .. that's not good news. I'll still give it one more chance before returning it.

Cheers.

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Are you guys serious? I used to get 3 1/2 hours with everything off when I first got my (early 07) MBP, I still get 2:50 now, with very light usage.

12. Hawkeye411 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I'm an Idiot

And it takes quite a person to admit it!! :D

I just double checked and the Power Saver was set to Higher Performance. I just changed it to Better Battery Life and iStat says 80% with 3:20 remaining.

I noticed that Thunder82 listed the power consumption as Amperage (mA): -1177 and mine was Amperage (mA): -1571 which was quite a bit higher so I double checked the Power Settings and realized my mistake.

I'm not even sure now what setting I was using when I was teaching the other day.

SORRY for wasting everyones time!! I'm willing to bet that I make the same mistake in the not-to-distant-future and run out of battery life.

I'll post my battery information after I recharge in case anyone is interested in the battery life differences for each video card.

Cheers.

13. Logos327 macrumors 6502

When I am under the "better battery life" and using it to take notes in lecture (no backlit keyboard, lowest screen brightness, bluetooth off) I can get 4-5 hours of battery life.

However when I leave higher performance on, I get what you a getting (2.5 hours predicted but I suppose it is a little closer 3 or 3.5 as it does not decrease at a constant rate.

edit: Oh I didn't read your last post. Glad you have figured things out.

14. mAc-warrior macrumors member

mAc-warrior

Glad you figured it out -- I'll just post my stats for comparison.

- 9400M
    - Bluetooth off
    - Wifi off
    - Screen on lowest brightness
    - Powerpoint/Acrobat open, constantly typing

I've been seeing right around 5 hours on these settings. If I turn Wifi on from the beginning it goes down around half an hour or so.

--mAc

15. Hawkeye411 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

FYI ... After a full recharge it iStat says 100%, 4:42 remaining. This is with the correct Energy Saver setting (i.e. Better Battery Life), the screen on the lowest brightness setting, using WiFi and Bluetooth and Safari and Mail running.

Cheers.

16. qom macrumors member

Hm, I'm down on 78% now, and it says I have 2h17m left.

This is with bluetooth and wifi enabled
    and Mail, Firefox, Colloquy, iTunes, Adium and Vuze running.

Backlight is turned down with 4 notches
    and better battery life is enabled aswell

17. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Do not be too concerned with 2.5 hours, the damn battery indicator reminds me of a random number generator at times. sometimes i have 25% battery life, and then suddenly it jumps to 40%. You might want to fully charge it and have it run some low intensity task, while you record the actual time using a watch to give you an indicator.

And if you expect to get the times that apple advertises...Good luck....i myself would love to know how they got those, so do not be concerned if your laptop battery is not living upto the marketing :) .

18. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

An additional tip - get iStat and put a CPU load icon in your topbar. You never know if an errant process is eating up alot of CPU cycles.

19. steve jr. macrumors 6502

Hello all. I have a battery issue, and this thread seemed like the best place to post. I have a 2.33 C2D MBP and maybe 8 months after I purchased the computer the battery was draining quickly. I called Apple, we did the diagnostics, and they sent me a new one. Below are the stats of the replacement battery that I have had for a little over a year. I really noticed it yesterday morning. I was typing a word document with wireless on, but Safari was closed, and by battery went from 100% down to about 20% in just under an hour. I do have AppleCare. Do you think they would replace it again if I called in?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

20. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire