MBP always stutters and freezes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by crizza0309, Jul 22, 2010.

1. crizza0309 macrumors regular

On both my google chrome and firefox my MBP will stutter and freeze for a couple seconds when im scrolling down if theres alot of images or gifs. I have a brand new i7 purchased last month so I dont see what the problem is any ideas?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Can you post a link to an example web page? If the page is large enough and/or includes funky scripts or other things that slow down the browser, it could just be that they're choking a little while trying to draw it. Doesn't matter how powerful the computer is, a really badly coded page can cause browser hiccups.

It will be pretty obvious if someone else with a similar system sees the same symptoms on the same page.

3. crizza0309 thread starter macrumors regular

Well its honestly a bunch of sites not just 1. And my google chrome was fine for the first few weeks I had it and now it freezes and stutters alot. Samething with my firefox.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

5. crizza0309 thread starter macrumors regular

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

When you say "freeze" which of the following do you mean?

1) The page appears to stall partway through loading, but you can still scroll up and down and click on links.

2) The entire browser stops doing anything, and you get a spinning beachball during the stall.

3) The entire system seems to stop responding, such that if you click to another application (such as Mail or iTunes) the computer doesn't immediately respond (versus the web browser being slow or stalling, but other programs being completely responsive at the same time).

Also, do you see stalls anywhere outside of Firefox and Chrome? Other applications? And what happens if you try the same pages in Safari? Same behavior, or something different?

7. crizza0309 thread starter macrumors regular

It freezes just the broswer up, I can click icons on the dock and move my mouse fine. And it works fine in firefox so it looks like a chrome thing but my firefox will freeze here and there too but not nearly as much as chrome like youtube will freeze up with firefox and ****.

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

Hmm... you mentioned YouTube, which makes me wonder if this isn't yet another Flash issue. It's incredibly good at bringing web browsers to their knees, and Flash ads are everywhere. It's quite possible you're just noticing it now because of more aggressive Flash-based advertising campaigns.

If you haven't already, try installing and enabling FlashBlock in Firefox:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433/

...and see if that fixes or helps the issue. If so, there you have it. If it doesn't make any difference, that at least rules out one cause.