MBP: Amazon "Basic" or AppleStore with all upgrades?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AceHarddrive, Nov 16, 2007.

1. AceHarddrive macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

I'm considering buying a 17-inch MBP and have been wondering if it would be a better idea to buy it from Amazon.com in its "basic" mode (comes with glossy hi-res widescreen screen and OS X Leopard preinstalled) plus Applecare and get the upgrades installed elsewhere (where, I have no idea), OR to buy the MBP from AppleStore with all upgrades + Applecare? I already planned to buy .Mac and other accessories.
    Also, what are your opinions on refurbished vs. New Macs?
    AppleStore: http://tinyurl.com/27dvaq
    Amazon.com: http://tinyurl.com/33zx5s

Thanks everyone!
    ~Tim =^.^=

2. thagomizer macrumors 6502

What do you want to upgrade? RAM and HD? Get the Mac from amazon, get the RAM from dealram.com, and install the extra RAM yourself. Why Apple charges $700 for 4GB Macbook Pro RAM that you can get for $129 elsewhere, I have no idea.

If you're looking for the larger/faster HD, it's a painful installation process on the Macbook Pro, but you can save yourself some cash by buying it separately. Check around for Hitachi Travelstar 7200rpm 2.5" 200GB drive, that's the fastest one that Apple uses. You can get it for $190 if you look around.

3. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I agree that buying the "stock" model at Amazon and doing the upgrades yourself, or pay someone to do them, would be the easiest on your wallet.

Ram is a cinch to install. Applecare you can buy anywhere (ahem, eBay is cheap)

The HDD is a PITA, but possible. The proc and screen are and always will be what you buy.

Plus Amazon in particular has a nice return policy if you don't like your machine... and purchases from authorized retailers (such as amazon) come with the same complimentary 1-year applecare. So unless you're looking for a highly configured machine, I'd have no problems with you buying from Amazon. ;)

Edit: Even if I bought from Apple (online or retail) I'd buy a stock system; As soon as you change anything, pre-installed software included, suddenly your order is custom and becomes more difficult to swap out if there is a problem. That's my take on it anyway.

4. AceHarddrive thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to epinions.com and found this. Mwave.com sells it for $191.90. Also, ifixit.com has excellent tutorials for replacing virtually everything on a Mac (even tells you what tools to use to remove screws, etc. (of course they sell the tools on the website, wouldn't ya know!)).

Bytheway, where can you find the tools for maintaining/upgrading a MBP (unless ifixit is good) and what tools are needed?

Thanks all!
    ~Tim =^.^=