MBP amnesia! Has to happen sometime, now it has.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fteoath64, Jul 31, 2012.

1. fteoath64 macrumors regular

fteoath64

My MBP late 2008 now thinks it is a MBA! It took a MBA firmware update by mistake.
    Now ML will not boot but SL works but with a twist. Only works with external monitor and fans works on Max. My SMC version is 1.66f4 which does not exist in Apple's releases. Now you hear it first here, how to update smc version to the 1.33f4 ?
    The SSD has to come off as it is ML only, hdd is still SL. Annoying and shows the weakness of the firmware update process.

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Contact Apple and get it fixed.

Never heard of such an issue before, so it sounds like it is an isolated incident.

3. fteoath64 thread starter macrumors regular

fteoath64

I have done that and waiting. Meantime, I spent hours trying to "hack" this crazy thing and has gotten half way there. I got the original firmware to stage in the Utilities folder and managed to run it but there is another check for the existing version which is V 1.66f54 the latest official version is supposed to be V 1.33f4. The app says cannot override the existing version 1.66f54. {clue, it reads that from somewhere ....} If I can only find that and change it to 1.16f54 the "forced" firmware WILL override unless there are some real crazy checksums inside the EFI writer module.

ANnother method is the original pkg which appears to run bypassing all checks for some reason. I isolated the SMC.efi file from the original V1.2 update and if there is a way to slap this payload into the package. I could use the same "missile" to deliver the fix. Well, I will keep trying because I think Apple is going to drag their feet on this!. Again unless something else rechecks its write ...