MBP and 2006 iMac Comparison

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ricriley, Jul 24, 2009.

1. ricriley macrumors newbie

Hi,

Over the last couple of days I have been using a 2006 2.1Ghz iMac with an ATI Graphics card. The performance of this machine with Adobe After Effects was amazing compared to my PC, this has inspired me to purchase a Macbook Pro later this year.

My question is how does the current Macbook Pro line-up compare to the 2006 iMac's in terms of performance?

I am also probably going to buy an Apple 24" Cinema Display to go with my shiny new laptop, but with the extra screen space to deal with does the performance drop?

Thanks,
    Ric

2. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

I have the same imac as yours. Right now its bogged down with all my apps et
    My adobe applications are slow in opening but once in its ok fast.
    I got the 2.26 mbp and its very fast openning adobe even final cut pro
    sO i might even get the 24" display as primary editing machine with mbp and use imac as secondary computer now.

3. ricriley thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm hoping that I can sell my existing system and replace with a MBP.

I'm hoping that it'll be powerful enough to compete with a half-decent desktop machine. I haven't use any of the newer iMac's I assume that the performance is much better than the MBP?

4. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

Im sure you can, I dont use my mbp for games, thats what a ps3,xbox is for.
    I upped my mbp to 4gb and will be getting an ssd in the near future.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...please fix your signature line...

6. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

I don't know how it compares to the '06 iMac, but I'm sure it's faster. The bus speeds are better and so is pretty much everything else. My MacBook Pro is working like a charm, no delays or lags whatsoever. I'm sure you'll notice a speed increase between the two.