Mbp and 4k display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Guate7, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Guate7 macrumors newbie

Hello all! Like many of you, i have been waiting for a long time for the new skylake mbp. I have been lurking this forum for a few weeks and decided to join because i have a question.

1) Will the 2015 13" mbp run a 4k external at 60hz? I am opting for a 13" because i backpack often to foreign countries and need to travel light, but would love a big screen at home. The most video intensive thing i would plan on doing is watching 4k timelapses from my gopro4 silver (i would really love to see these on a 4k) every once in a while, but mainly just use it for way less video intensive tasks. So, should i be able to watch 4k timelapses (i think they play at 60fps) on an external with little lag from a 2015 13" mbp?

2) Also, do you think the skylake mbp 13" (assuming this will be an option) will be able to run a 4k external so i could watch my time lapses? I understand that no one knows the specs, but many of you seem to have solid speculations and i would just like to hear some opinions. In your opinion, what do you speculate the probability of me being able to power a 4k display with the 2016 13" mbp for 4k timelapses with little lag?

I am very excited at the prospect of being able to run an external monitor at high resolution. I was torn between the 13" and 15" but will go with the 13" if it can run an external flawlessly at home for when i need to do more work. My current laptop is so old it can not even play 1080 without crashing...lol. I only use my tablet, but am getting more into content "creation".

2. Spark-MR macrumors newbie

3. Guate7 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Spark-MR, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016

Spark-MR macrumors newbie

No, coding, web browsing, screen sharing. I did try out some 4K Youtube videos, and they played fine.