MBP and a MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ppone, Jul 1, 2012.

1. ppone macrumors regular

Who here has a MBP or rMBP and a MBA?

Does having the two of them help increase your productivity? Have you seen specific advantages of having them both?

Currently have a rMBP, but also thinking about getting a 11 inch MBA for the portability. Unsure if it will help me in productivity. The biggest use case I can see is hacking away at software that might cause the 11 inch to become unstable, while maintaining the rMBP has my main productivity laptop. By hacking I mean writing code and or installing software the could potentially impact the system has a whole. Using one laptop for bleeding edge stuff and the other for stable stuff.

Not sure if it will be counterproductive or productive in having both.

2. Slivortal macrumors 6502

If you're looking to sandbox, you could just as easily VM (or Bootcamp if you're worried about viruses breaking out of the software).

It should be practically impossible for viruses to get through a partitioned hard drive (aka Bootcamp), and you can just wipe that OS off the hard drive if it gets compromised.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not sure what you mean, but as long as you keep a current backup, if you have some unstable software that causes a problem you can always restore from a backup. I don't know why you'd have any software on your system that you couldn't fully trust.

4. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I have a 15" Retina, a 15" 2010 MacBook Pro, a 13" MacBook Air, and 11" MacBook Air, an iPad 3, and an original iPad. You think I am a little excessive?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No.... a LOT! :D