MBP and ACD display, please HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sinser, Feb 12, 2009.

1. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

Hi,
    just received my 20" ACD and there are 3 things I can't understand.
    My ACD is connected to my MBP and used as primary display.

1) What's the minimum brightness setting like ? Doesn't it go completely black like my MBP ? I'm at minimum brightness settings and it is still very bright. Is this normal ?

2)I tried to connect my LaCie external drive to the ACD hub and it doesn't work, while iPod and other USB devices are ok. No problems thru FW. Why ?

3) Is it possible to keep the MBP lid slighly open while using the ACD as main monitor?

4) I discovered that I can do point 3 by simply opening the display after the main monitor is on. However if I do this, if the MBP goes to sleep, after wakeup the dock and menubar disappears from the ACD while the MPB shows nothing. Is there a way to avoid this ?

2. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

1) What's the minimum brightness setting like ? Doesn't it go completely black like my MBP ? I'm at minimum brightness settings and it is still very bright. Is this normal ? - it doesnt go completely black when the setting is set to its lowest. I could still somewhat see what's on the ACD.

2)I tried to connect my LaCie external drive to the ACD hub and it doesn't work, while iPod and other USB devices are ok. No problems thru FW. Why ?
    - Perhaps the USB port itself doesn't have enough power to supply your HD.

3) Is it possible to keep the MBP lid slighly open while using the ACD as main monitor? - what's the point of leaving it slightly open if your not planning on using the MBP as a second monitor or main.

4) I discovered that I can do point 3 by simply opening the display after the main monitor is on. However if I do this, if the MBP goes to sleep, after wakeup the dock and menubar disappears from the ACD while the MPB shows nothing. Is there a way to avoid this ? - You could go to System Preferences -> Display -> Arrangement and drag the menu over to your ACD.

3. sinser thread starter macrumors 6502a

sinser

Ok for points 2,3,4. But as for the brightness. Hey I'm at lowest settings and the monitor is at what I'd call medium brightness level. Is this normal ???

4. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Yeah, the big monitors are usually much brighter than the old 17" and below models. You can always try something like Nocturne to invert the color scheme.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Run the MBP in clamshell mode if you want JUST/ONLY the ACD as your monitor. You can close the MBP's lid and use a keyboard or mouse, wired/wireless shouldn't matter, to wake up the MBP and turn on clamshell mode. If the main monitor is set to the MBP's display, it will temporarily switch to the ACD until you decide to use the MBP display.