mbp and airport security

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mckvakk, Feb 7, 2008.

1. mckvakk macrumors regular

Okay, pretty straightforward question, should i bother turning off my mbp before going through airport security (with the x-rays) tomorrow? or will things survive while it's just sleeping?

2. ccwilli3 macrumors member

been through the machine 100 times with my MBP, always sleeping as I never shut my MBP down...

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I would always shut my machine down if I am transporting it somewhere. Too many people have told stories of their sleeping MBP's waking up in their laptop bag and then getting really hot, due to restricted airflow.

4. ccwilli3 macrumors member

always? Such a strong term...

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I just close the lid and let it sleep, since that way it's much faster if the TSA screeners want proof that the computer actually functions. I've never had it wake up and give me any problems being in its sleeve. I suppose if it overheated, it'd go right back to sleep anyways...

6. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I've been through airport security just as much, and I've never turned my PowerBook G4 off. In fact, I never turn it off. Long trips from Atlanta to Johannesburg, toting it to/from work, even letting it sit in my laptop bag for a couple days at a time. Never had a problem with it.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sleep is fine.

Never happened with multiple iBook G3, iBook G4, PowerBook G4, MBP.

If you have things connected to your laptop, such as USB mouse, etc, you need to disconnect them first before sleeping the laptop, otherwise the act of disconnecting these things sometimes wake up the laptop.

8. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

If it goes back in my laptop bag, then I shut it down first.

I never used to worry about it with my Powerbook G4 Ti, but the MBP seems to get alot hotter.

I guess I am in the minority here... LOL

9. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321