Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noatonement

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
So lately i've been thinking about using boot camp and installing either windows xp or windows vista.

Right now i've got a macbook pro 13" running osx 10.5.8.

The main reason for loading windows for me would probably be games (really like the Total War series and interested in modding them) but i also have a few classes for school that would be using windows programs...

What would be some of the pros/cons of installing windows on my mbp? How safe is it (i can't really afford a new laptop at this point, so i can't install windows if theres a big risk of damage to my laptop)

Thanks for any help/advice

Neobond

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Minneapolis
I have installed Windows on all my Macs since bootcamp was released, mostly for the Autodesk suite of applications. The only issue I have ever run into is occasionally windows won't put the machine to sleep when i close the lid, then i put it into my backpack and it starts to over heat.

Other than that the Macbook Pro has been rated as the best windows notebook you can buy.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
I have installed Windows on all my Macs since bootcamp was released, mostly for the Autodesk suite of applications. The only issue I have ever run into is occasionally windows won't put the machine to sleep when i close the lid, then i put it into my backpack and it starts to over heat.

Other than that the Macbook Pro has been rated as the best windows notebook you can buy.

1. Windows takes 1 minute to go to sleep, especially on XP and Vista.
2. Don't install Vista. Seriously.
3. There are no cons except that it requires a reboot every time you want to switch to an OS.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I've found that windows 7 runs really well on macs, but the drivers for vista and xp are far worse.

noatonement

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
I believe i have either a 2008 or 2009 MPB (can't remember what summer i bought it -.- ) and i have osx 10.5.8.

Will i be able to install windows 7 onto my mac? Or am i only limited to windows xp/vista

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
windows 7 works with just about any intel mac. The system requirements are the same as vista.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
I believe i have either a 2008 or 2009 MPB (can't remember what summer i bought it -.- ) and i have osx 10.5.8.

Will i be able to install windows 7 onto my mac? Or am i only limited to windows xp/vista

Windows 7 is a way better choice than XP or Vista. I would choose XP over Vista, as a second.

I consider Vista a first draft of Windows 7.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Windows 7 works perfectly fine on a MBP (I'd say better than either XP or 7). You can pick from any of the three versions unless you're running Lion (which will only run with Windows 7). There is no appreciable rick of damage to your laptop, although the Windows partition itself could be more prone to viruses, spyware, and other malware without proper protection. But even then only your Windows partition would be affected by any Windows malware.

Guardsix

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I have a MBP 15 I bought in July. I did upgrade to Lion, but right after I got it I put Windows 7 Home Premium on it using Bootcamp. I play Fall Out New Vegas for about 4 hours or more most every day or when I can get away with it while my Wife has something else to do. My MBP never over heats and switching from Mac OS X to Windows 7 and back only takes a few minutes (like 1 or 2) each time. Of course I'm retired so I don't worry too much about how long things take anymore so that might be an eternity to someone else! I have MS-Office for Windows loaded and I use MS Security Essentials along with Windows firewall to try and keep that side of my hard drive safe but I don't really use it all that much (except for playing games).

Overall, it feels like I've got two notebooks and not just one. My desktop is getting pretty lonely these days!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.