MBP and Cinema Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by digmo, Jul 12, 2009.

1. digmo macrumors member

I am tempted to move to a MBP and cinema display as my main setup rather than an iMac. I tend to leave my imac on all the time, is there an issue with doing with a laptop ?

David

2. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

I replaced my iMac with a MBP and LED cinema display and, like you, leave it on all the time. Have not seen any adverse effects for a month.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I never really turn mine off. Just recommend draining the battery once in a while.

4. digmo thread starter macrumors member

to be honest my worry is leaving it on over night converting video or the like. I am worried about a fire risk. If I can over it I think it could be the solution that would really work for me.

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

If you are going to be doing a lot of video converting and such over night, I would probably suggest getting a laptop stand of your choosing. Lots of us here have mStands or Griffin Elevators, so you can take a look at those. Some people might say that it doesn't really help, but from my experience converting stuff over night on my macbook connected to my Dell monitor, it reduced the temp by at least 5 degrees Celsius. And it makes it a lot easier to look at when it is next to your ACD.

Hope that helps

6. digmo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone. So there really isn't a fire risk to be worried about?

David

7. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

No, Macbooks are made to endure high temps. Fire hazard it's not. No, more than any other electrical appliance. If you are worried about the heat interfering with your table then a cheap plate that you put hot Cooking Pots on could ease your mind and better your sleep. No need for those big ugly and expensive stands that is promoted to us users.

[​IMG]