MBP and dust concerns

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dukebound85, Jun 16, 2012.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

How often should one clean dust from their mbp? I know you can see the fan by taking off the bottom casing. Is just cleaning the fan enough? or would further dissassembly be required?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I recently opened my non-unibody MBP after over 4 years of heavy use and travel. I found almost no dust inside, certainly not enough to impact cooling. Unless you work in an unusually dusty environment, I wouldn't expect you need to clean dust more often than once every several years. YMMV

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

and by cleaning the dust out, just cleaning the fan enough most likely? aka the area I see when I take the bottom casing off?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, just a shot of compressed air around the fans was all that was required. I found no dust at all elsewhere, just a very thin film of dust on the fan blades. It really looked like I could have gone a few more years without cleaning.

5. theBostonian Suspended

I took my MBP into the Apple Store and a Genius opened her up and cleaned inside.

I have Apple Care tho so maybe that's why it was free, but it couldn't hurt to try since they tend to be quite laid back.