MBP and genius bar

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vipergts2207, Nov 9, 2009.

1. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

I'm pretty sure my Santa Rosa MBP's graphics card failed because it will turn on but the display won't. I made a genius appointment for tomorrow but I don't have my receipt. Will I have any problems tomorrow?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Nope, AppleCare is tied to the serial which is registered on date of purchase, you are fine.

3. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The only time that you'd need the receipt is if you need to dispute your warranty dates. Like say you bought it on Dec. 12th and they think you bought it on Sept. 15th, so you need the receipt to have them fix it.

Otherwise, no receipts are needed.

5. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

They will go by what ever is in the system. No paperwork is needed from you.

6. vipergts2207 thread starter macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Thanks for the info guys. I walked up to the genius bar and was helped pretty much right away. The genius ran the diagnostics test and told me it was the gpu. Although she said it wasn't in the range of affected models (even though it definitely is according to Apple's support page on the issue) she would go ahead and approve the repair anyway because it was as she said, in pristine condition. It probably also helped that I was very polite and patient while she had trouble getting the diagnostics test to work. Took about 25 minutes in the store total. Sucks that my computer broke, but at least I'm in good hands. No wonder they're number one in customer satisfaction. I'll be sticking with Apple products for the forseeable future.

7. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

In the range of affected models? Can't any graphics card fail? And wouldn't that be covered under the warranty (unless they prove that you did something to it)?

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes and yes. The Genius was probably just talking.

9. vipergts2207 thread starter macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Yeah any graphics card can fail but I have a Santa Rosa MBP where Apple extended the warranty on the graphics card to 3 years because of nvidia's manufacturing defects. Not all Macs were affected by this.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

10. elee888 macrumors newbie

My MBP does even make the chime sound at boot up after installing 10.6.2. I hear the dvd drive make the usual start up noise and I hear brief access to the HD. Then the screen goes black. Tried PRAM and SMC reset, no dice. Genius Bar told me that it's hardware related and it will cost me $330 to fix. I just find it really odd that died right after the update. Does anyone think it has anything to do with the graphics card failing, or is it something else?

Does anyone know if there is any way to boot from the DVD drive and try to do an archive and install from the DVD? I hear the DVD drive start up when I power on, but I'm not sure if I want to take a chance of having the DVD get stuck in the drive because the machine won't boot up. If this won't work, can I still do a "target disk mode" and try to recover my data with another mac?