MBP and heat issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Morrius, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Morrius macrumors member

I'm a WoW addict and I've been craving a new MacBook Pro ever since Leopard came out. (Shattrath city makes my iBook G4 cry.) I've read all the threads about about how the MBP is going to be upgraded soon, but I think I'd rather go with the beast I know than wait. The current object of my affection is the 15" 2.4 GHz model.

My question is regarding the MBP's issues with heat, and the apparent need to run a fan control program. How prevalent/serious are these issues, and how easily are they fixed? I'm wary about dropping $2,500 on a machine that seems to have a serious problem with its firmware.

Of course, I could go with an iMac instead, since I'm upgrading from an iBook and I'm a relative homebody who doesn't travel, but money isn't too much of an issue. I might miss the portability but I don't know that I'd really /need/ it. My iBook works just fine for non-processor intensive things.

What do you think, sirs?

2. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

Personally, I'd go with the iMac for that situation. If you don't really need the portability of a notebook, then go with the cheaper & faster solution of getting the desktop.

You'll get a faster overall machine, better GPU, better cooling and a way better screen. If you were planning on the MBP anyways, then you can always put the $$ towards a 24" iMac

And since you already have a notebook, then if you ever need the portability of one, then you can just use that.

Just my $0.02

3. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I think cptpower's advice hits the mark. The iMac is going to be a more satisfying machine for WoW, and you'll still have the iBook for those moments when you do need portability. As a light to moderate mobile user (I spend a week a month at the office and sit on my ass at home the rest of the time) I've been very happy with a "fast desktop, slow portable" solution.

For the price difference between the iMac and a MBP you could easily max out your RAM, buy a big external drive for Time Machine, and cough up the cash for a .Mac account which will make it a breeze to synch your bookmarks and address book and all that between the two machines.

Plus, WoW will be faster. :)

Sounds like a win all around to me.

4. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

or you could get a cooling pad/stand for the MBP.
    I use the Koolsink (with my MB) at home and really like it.