Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
How is the heat handled in the MBP 15? I am interested in getting one in a few months (as it seems my only option).

Also, how is the battery life? I need battery life that will last at least 4 hours for the days I spend in the park.

I don't want this laptop to be burning, but I have heard it really burns after awhile.

cmm

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
The MBP gets warm, but it won't burn you (other people are more sensitive though). As far as battery life, I get 3.5 hours with wireless and the screen on the lowest setting (fine for indoors, but you'll likely need full brightness outdoors). You'll probably need 2 or more batteries....or maybe a small solar panel?

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
Small solar panel sounds nice.

3.5 is short considering the iBook gets 5.5 and so will (most likely) the macbook.

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
SpeedIt from InCrew Software is working very nicely to cool my MBP. It's still in Beta, but look into it.

CPUTemp1.png

Pilgrims Pro

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2003
I don't know if it just me, but my MBP is really noticeably warmer after the recent update. Using CoreDuoTemp, my MBP idled at 62-69 degrees celsius, but after the update its averaging 42-45 degrees under a moderate load. Anyone else notice this?

Bunsen Burner

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
Pilgrims Pro said:
I don't know if it just me, but my MBP is really noticeably warmer after the recent update. Using CoreDuoTemp, my MBP idled at 62-69 degrees celsius, but after the update its averaging 42-45 degrees under a moderate load. Anyone else notice this?

?

You're Your statement is contradicting itself. You are saying it is ~20ºC cooler after the update.

BB

Pilgrims-

Yes, it is early. See my correction above. :)

Pilgrims Pro

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2003
Bunsen Burner said:
?

You're statement is contradicting itself. You are saying it is ~20ºC cooler after the update.

BB

Wow, I am losing it, or its just really early in the morning. I meant it is noticeably COOLER!!!!

Sorry about the confusion.

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
Just taken my MBP in to my local Apple Store. I complained about the screen buzz, exccessive heat, CPU whining sound and the battery replacement since I have a W8607 model.

Will see what they have to say in a few days. Back using my 12-inch PB now.

One thing is. Does anyone here wipe the hard drive before they take their machines in. I didnt, but done a full backup. Forgort I had some pron on there though and naughty pics of me. LOL :p

Bunsen Burner

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
thefunkymunky said:
Just taken my MBP in to my local Apple Store. I complained about the screen buzz, exccessive heat, CPU whining sound and the battery replacement since I have a W8607 model.

Will see what they have to say in a few days. Back using my 12-inch PB now.

One thing is. Does anyone here wipe the hard drive before they take their machines in. I didnt, but done a full backup. Forgort I had some pron on there though and naughty pics of me. LOL :p

I always wipe before flus... uh, sending any machine out for work. And deauthorize iTunes, as well.

BB

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
Can I ask another question: should I go with the mbp or the powerbook? I know I can save a bunch if I go with the pb but I'm afraid they will become obsolete. I am a liberal arts student, and I use Word, Firefox, MacIrssi, Dictionary, AdiumX, bittorrent, VLC, iTunes, and Address Book.

What do y'all think? I will probably wait until August to make the purchase? Also, coming from a 20inch iMac, do you think I could deal with a 12inch powerbook? I am really worried about battery life; three hours should be good, but I will need another battery just in case; how much do they cost?

Thanks.

cmm

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
cmm said:
Small solar panel sounds nice.

3.5 is short considering the iBook gets 5.5 and so will (most likely) the macbook.

I wouldn't count on 5.5 with an iBook. My iBook (had before the MBP) was rated at 5.5 and real-life numbers were closer to 4.25. The screen was also much much smaller and not nearly as bright.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
cmm said:
Can I ask another question: should I go with the mbp or the powerbook? I know I can save a bunch if I go with the pb but I'm afraid they will become obsolete. I am a liberal arts student, and I use Word, Firefox, MacIrssi, Dictionary, AdiumX, bittorrent, VLC, iTunes, and Address Book.

What do y'all think? I will probably wait until August to make the purchase? Also, coming from a 20inch iMac, do you think I could deal with a 12inch powerbook? I am really worried about battery life; three hours should be good, but I will need another battery just in case; how much do they cost?

Thanks.

cmm

Not sure wha MacIrssi is, but with he exception of Word, all of those applications are Universal, so they should (and do) run really well.

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
mmmcheese said:
Not sure wha MacIrssi is, but with he exception of Word, all of those applications are Universal, so they should (and do) run really well.
MacIrssi is an IRC client. What do you mean by universal? Would you recommend me getting a pb or no?

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
mmmcheese said:
I wouldn't count on 5.5 with an iBook. My iBook (had before the MBP) was rated at 5.5 and real-life numbers were closer to 4.25. The screen was also much much smaller and not nearly as bright.
Oh really? I guess that's the catch (the screen) -- I really like my Apple screen now, and I want the brightness it offers, so it's looking like a pb or mbp.

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
crazydrumma said:
I just ordered a 15 inch MBP. When it arrives I'll let you know on the heat. I've got my fingers crossed....
Thank you, I appreciate it.

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
Oh, okay, I didn't read the whole page, but that works. So, basically an emulator until Microsoft makes a native app?

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Transeau said:
SpeedIt from InCrew Software is working very nicely to cool my MBP. It's still in Beta, but look into it.

What version of Speedit are you using? From the site all they have available is the 0.32R58 which only reads back temperature but doesn't actually make the laptop cooler or anything yet.

Unless you are using an unreleased version.

Gibbling

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2006
I used both CoreDuoTemp and Hardware monitor (and the latest speedit) and when i first boot my computer my temp is 27c-32c and doesnt go any higher no matter what I run. Then if I restart after doing some work and run CoreDuoTemp or Hardware Monitor and they both report 65c-70c and it never gets past 70c and nvr gets lower than 65c. If I close my laptop and let it sleep for a few minutes and wake it up and run the temp monitors and it reports 37c-43c and again doesnt go any higher or lower. Any ideas? I took it to one of the geeks today and he said they could keep it in the store and run "diagnostic" tests and see how things go. This is my first Apple product (I used to be one of those "Mac suck because they are different, Pff buttons on the top left side of an open window suck!!") and besides not being able to keep the laptop on my lap due to the heat, everything seems to run fine.

any help or informaion that could help would be appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.