MBP and iMac, or one or the other?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NickD, Apr 11, 2007.

1. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

Here's something I've been thinking about for a while:

Right now, I'm running a 20" iMac, but would like some portability so that I can carry a Mac around with me (without an iLugger that is ;)). Anyhow, I was thinking of buying a MBP, but I was also considering the idea of selling the iMac, and then buying just a MBP, and having an external display at home for my "desktop" setup.

Is this a smart idea, or would it be better to stick with two separate computers, and why (both for the idea, and against it)? I do video editing and graphic design work, but will not need more than 3GB of RAM, so that will not be an issue.

NickD

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What you could do is buy the MacBoook Pro and keep the iMac and if you find that you don't use the iMac that much after getting the MacBook Pro then sell the iMac. That way if you find that you like having two computers you can keep both and you won't regret selling the iMac.

3. JackArc macrumors regular

JackArc

I think it would be annoying syncing the two if you are going to do the same work. That would make sense then to get a MBP and an external display for your "desktop" set-up.

However, I also think it would be annoying to have to constantly plug and unplug components in and out of your MBP plus its an i sore to 90% of the desks I've seen in the post your mac set-up thread.

Depending on what you would use the portability for...here is what I would do. Buy a Macbook with 1gb ram for things you would need to do on the go and sell your iMac to upgrade to a nicer one when Leopard in the remodel hits.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i think the MBP + display is a good setup, if you need that much from your portable. if you just need something to check e-mail while on the go or take from the kitchen to the living room (for instance), consider a MacBook and keep the iMac.

don't discount the MacBook - it's a powerful little machine. if you really prefer or need the MBP, though, don't think that you won't also want the iMac. i agree with the previous suggestion that you should buy the portable you want and keep the iMac; after a while, you can decide if you want to keep the iMac.