MBP and iMac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crobbins, Jan 21, 2008.

1. crobbins macrumors 6502

I was wondering how many people have an iMac and a MBP..I currently do but I find myself not using both of them as much as I probably should..What do you guys recommend? I've been having a tough time deciding what to do because on an occasion I'm making large file transfers to the internet with the iMac, but that's been the extent of my need.

2. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I'd also like to know peoples thoughts on this subject because I'm actually looking to buy a MBP and an iMac.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

hmm - I have a MBP and am seriously considering buying an iMac too. I use the MBP a great deal, but there are occasions when a regular desktop machine would be more useful... I guess it depends on how you use the machine, though,

Oh - FWIW I also have a couple of other Macs used as servers, but they don't count ;)

4. crobbins thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, another question I had was if I sold my 20in iMac, what about a cinema display 500 dollars (if I buy 20in refurb) seems much more intelligent than keeping the iMac which would probably give me 1000-1300 back..

5. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

What macs do you use for servers?

6. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i actually have both, i mostly use my mbp, but my imac is more suplimental. like a server. I wish laptops were able to have more hd space. To me this is the largest issue. If they could i wouldn't have a second machine. I just have to much info to keep on one. Plus i don't like having too much info on my mbp. I keep it barebones for speed and work, I don't even keep music on it. I guess one is a work machine and the other is 'family' type machine.

7. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

One option that may work for you is a NAS Storage device. I am planning on ordering an ICY BOX Sata Enclosure that also features an FTP server so I can access my files from anywhere. The ICY Box takes 2 SATA drives in RAID so should work quite well.

8. El Phantasmo macrumors member

i've had an ibook and an imac for the last 2 1/2 ~ 3 years and now i cant wait for the new mbps to come out so i can go back to having just ONE mac with everything on it...

I use the iMac for web design and photo stuff, and the ibook is now mainly used for web browsing and chat/email from my couch or bed or my parents house...

When i got the iMac/iBook combo, my reasoning was that i wanted a powerful desktop for heavy stuff and a light portable for "on the go" stuff... it was all nice for a while but then it got really annoying whenever i needed a document that was on the other computer... or when i was sitting in my desk reading something on the web and i wanted to sit back on the couch or something and keep reading or doing what i was doing then i had to go find the ibook, look up whatever i was reading and start again... i hope when i get the new MBP i will be able to just pick it up and go lay in bed and keep doing what i was doing...

so basicaly if you dont mind having your stuff scatered on two computers or not having all your important stuff with you all the time, go ahead and get the two computers... if you like having everything on one place then just get the MBP....

9. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I can kinda see your point, but if there was a UK option (even third party) of a MBP Docking Station, then this would be more realistic for me.

Looking at the new rumoured spec's, it looks like the new MBP's will be slightly better spec than the new iMac's (apart from GPU possibly).

As for having stuff scattered, etc, I think that as my earlier post stated, if I get a NAS hard drive with FTP access, this won't be a problem, and the NAS will be a good solution anyway, due to the limitations of the MBP's hdd capacity.

10. El Phantasmo macrumors member

yeah, having an external networked drive is helpful for sure... I plan on storing all my movies and music (plus TM backups) on an external drive that stays on my desk. I dont need to have ALL my music/movies with me all the time, just the movies i havent seen, and theres the ipod for music.

As for docking station, maybe a 23" ACD and bluetooth mouse/keyboard can cover it... and cheaper than getting the iMac.

For example working with CS3 it gets frustrating having to configure the palletes, settings, etc on multiple computers. same for desktop image, itunes library, etc etc... (i know there's .mac syncing and actually use it with my computer at work)

Just my 2 cents... right now i prefer the convenience of ONE computer...

cheers :D

11. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks for the advice :)

12. crobbins thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all of your input so far..I think I may do something crazy that I wasn't expecting to do at all..I may just sell both machines and get the 17inch MacBook Pro..it would be a nice solution I think..I will be making a trip to the Apple Store tonight to see what the actual weight difference is and see what they say as well..to those with the 17in, I have a new question :)..Is it still portable enough for you?

13. El Phantasmo macrumors member

the 17" may be a great compromise between power and mobility...

I also was wondering if maybe a 17 would be better than a 15+external display... i have never used a 17 but my guess is that if you are going to be carrying it from the office to your place in your car it may not be a big issue, but carrying it in a backpack or case and walking with it may get uncomfortable...

good luck with your decision and let us know how it goes!

14. crobbins thread starter macrumors 6502

I listed both of my computers on ebay this evening! I've decided to sell both and get the 17inch! I thought about waiting for the MBP update..but I don't really think it's going to come this month :rolleyes:

15. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

I can see two options...

- Get a MBP + cinema display so you get the desktop feel if you need it (such as for more heavy duty work)

- iMac + MacBook for on the go stuff.

I prefer the second option. My iMac is my main computer but I'm about to get a MacBook off eBay to us at Uni or for whenever I want to be portable.

16. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

This combo rulez! Lid closed mode all the way!

17. Mr Ski 73 macrumors regular

This is an interesting thread!

I have recently moved my mac mini to my lounge and use it as an HTPC. Before this I used it for my work and as a desktop. I also have a MBP which I used for the more creative stuff like PS3 etc.

I have now moved my MBP to be my main machine which is working really well but I have it connected to an old crappy Sony monitor.

Anyway to cut a long story short I am trying to work out whether to get a 24" imac or a new external display.

Following the comments in this thread I agree there is little point when you have a MBP in puchasing an iMac just to let it sit there as a server. I am hoping that time capsule will be a better answer (as a NAS, not for time machine) and an good external monitor.

What is annoying is the lack of updates to the ACD's:mad:

18. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Believe you me, it AIN'T crazy talk at all, it's pretty damn sensible if you ask me. I always find my 17" MBP is basically a portable desktop. If you get the High Resolution screen then you'll essentially be having your 24" iMac on your lap. Hell, you may find that you don't even need an external display!

Also don't forget, that unlike the iMacs, MBP's can be attached to the 30" ACD if you ever feel the need to in the future.

In terms of portability, it all depends where you're gonna be using it. If you're just gonna be going around the house, or taking it to and from work and keeping it in the office, then you'll have no problem. However, if you're gonna be travelling from place to place all day then it can get pretty uncomfortable to carry around.

Of course if you do find it too big when you see it in store then the 15" model would still be a pretty good option, as long as you get an external monitor for it. Just a pity they don't offer a higher resolution screen for it; 1680x1050 would've been nice ...

Anyway, hope that helps. Cheers :)

19. crobbins thread starter macrumors 6502

I have one day left on my eBay auctions. As soon as these are over and I receive payment on them I believe I will be ordering the 17inch MacBook Pro. I've decided if I can't handle the extra 1.4lbs then I've got more to worry about than the difference between a 15 and 17inch computer.

20. ironMonkey macrumors member

Don't buy both a MBP and an iMac. They have almost exactly the same internal specs. Just buy an external monitor for the MBP. The iMac is a MBP without the mobility and less base ram. But hey, they give you a bigger HD! If you can afford a MBP (They sure are expensive, comparitively) then the iMac is unnecessary.