MBP and iPhone 5 with enabling SMS

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thealpha1, Oct 22, 2014.

1. thealpha1 macrumors member

Hey guys,

I have a slight problem with my iPhone allowing my MBP to send SMS via the 'Messages' app. As you will probably know, since the latest update, 'Yosemite' allows users to send SMS via the Messages app.

On the iPhone 5, I go to Settings -> Messages -> Text Message Forwarding. When I enable this option, it opens my 'Messages' app on the MBP and then nothing happens. I am supposed to enter a code what appears on the MBP but nothing happens - why is this?

Also, how would I go about enabling the ability to accept phone calls on the MBP.. or is my MBP too old to do this? I heard that some models of the MBP getting phased out over time and these features will not work?

I have a MBP 2011 (April/May) time I got it.

Thanks all!
    /thealpha1

2. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

I've been looking around for some more explicit information about which Continuity features are supported by which Macs. And it seems that although yours does support Handoff (opening the same email or webpage between the devices), I think the SMS and phone calls require Bluetooth LE. Your laptop doesn't have a card that supports that built in. So you'd need to swap out the card and go through a process that would be changing OS files.

Here's the link to the article that I first found out about this process: Continuity Activation Tool

3. thealpha1 thread starter macrumors member

4. thealpha1 thread starter macrumors member

Bit of an update, for some reason, randomly.. the SMS calling feature has now started to randomly work.. also, I received a phone call from a friend a few days ago and it was calling through my MBP. Weird. lol.