MBP and MB 11 months old, AppleCare or not

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by katorga, May 10, 2008.

1. katorga macrumors regular

My MBP and my wife's MB are 11 months old...should I go for AppleCare?

How does it work if I buy from Amazon?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

YES! You want AppleCare on your MBP. It doesn't matter where you buy it, just activate it soon.

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Yes like the other poster said get applecare because its really good to get that 3 year warranty + it adds much better value for resale as well.

4. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

One of the thing I really like about Applecare is that you can decide up until day 364. That way you don't have to pay for it up front. But, for a couple of hundred bucks, you're covered for two more years.

Apple repairs ain't cheap from what I've been able to gather. Ebay or Amazon seem good ways to get it for a discount. I'd trust amazon over ebay any day of the week.

5. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Apple Care works the same regardless of where you purchase it. With Amazon, depending on what state you live in, you can likely get it without having to pay taxes. eBay has the cheapest options, but be sure to purchase from a reputable seller, and check feedback for satisfied customers who have purchased the same item, and state that they had no trouble registering their products for extended warranties. You can save about $150 bucks overall if you go the eBay route, but either way (Amazon or eBay), you'll likely save some money.

Good luck to you, it's a worthy safeguard for what you've invested in the systems. :)

6. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I purchased Applecare for my MBP through ebay and didn't have any issues. As the other poster said, just check the feedback on the seller and you should be good.

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

this is something ive been thinking about too, im planing on selling my MBP in june of NEXT year and get a Nehalem based MBP so on one hand ill only have A.C. for a year, BUT like its been said it adds to resale value

so i think im going to do it

8. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

are the applecares bought with education discount any different from the regular ones?

9. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yeah they have college interns work on them instead of certified apple techs:D

but seriously, i dont see why they would be any different

10. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

They are cheaper and that's it.

11. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Yes get Apple care. When my MBP had a little heating incident with itself and came back from repair different from the way it went in they just replaced it with a new one and upped the spec for me too for the troubles. If I hadn't got Applecare I would have no laptop today as I wouldn't have been able to afford a new one. It's really worth it!

12. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Would an applecare bought in US ebay works internationally in Singapore?

13. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Yep

14. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

I would think so too.

But how could you be so sure? Is it through your own experience?

15. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Aye I bought a Macbook in the NYC Apple store and asked there. They said it's international. So I bought Applecare in the store with the Macbook and its all covered now til 2009 :)

16. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Ah.. I see..

But what if I get a mac locally in Singapore, but opt to buy the applecare from ebay USA? Would that work?

See the difference with your situation is both your mac and applecare (I read there's different country kit for applecare) were bought from the same country, and thus the applecare will cover that particular mac.

Would it make a difference?

17. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Ah. Ok. Well to be honest I think the best thing you can do there is ask Apple themselves. They're normally very honest... :)

18. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Looks like it then.

Doubtful about Apple reps being honest though.

Ignorant most of the time is more like it. :D

19. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Really? I always found the Apple reps over the phone in Ireland very helpful and honest. I know when I was in the US some of the people working in Apple stores were "clueless" hehe

20. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Over here in Singapore, we are routed to the Australian or Indian phone reps of applecare. Honestly, 90% of the time they have no idea what they are talking about. Once I asked about warranty issues of mac using 3rd party rams, and they told me the warranty of my mac would be voided if I use them. :rolleyes:

Another time they tell me I can't get my imac screen replaced unless I have 11 dead pixels (I have 7), and another rep said 5 pixels etc. This indian rep told me 20 dead pixels!!:eek:

The problem I think with applecare reps is that although they share the same knowledge base, but their knowledge of most mac products are only mediocre, and most advice they give should not be taken too seriously, and should be confirmed again by talking to another rep(s) if possible.

21. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

From Apple site:

"The AppleCare Protection Plan is available at the online Apple Store, Apple retail stores, and many Apple Authorized Resellers. Apple recommends that you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan in your country of residence, because each AppleCare Protection Plan has terms and conditions specific to consumers of the country or region in which the plan is offered. Please see the AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions for complete details."