MBP and MP on one 27" ACD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Killerbob, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I'm getting my 27" ACD in a few days, and was wondering how I connect an MBP and a MP to it at the same time? As I see it the ACD only has one input, and there seems to be no way of accomplishing that:confused:

KB

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You need a DisplayPort KVM switch. You also need some Mini DP to DP adapters

EDIT: Just see the link below my post, it's a better deal

3. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Altona has a Mini-DP KVM

EDIT: Upon further investigation, this only supports 1920x1200 so it will work with the 24" but not the 27". I'm sure they'll update it in the near future if you're willing to wait.

4. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the suggestions. If all I want to do is switch compter-to-screen, and not keyboard/mouse, is there a cheaper solution? And, why the converter? The ACD connects directly to the MBP, right? And, I upgraded the graphics on my MP to the 4870, so that should work also?

KB

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's the cheapest I could find. You need adapter because that is DisplayPort, not Mini DisplayPort. mDP to DP doesn't cost much though, or mDP to DP cable.

You would connect the 27" ACD to the KVM box and then connect both, MBP and MP to the KVM box. Then you can simply switch the output by pressing a button. The box in my post above supports up to 2560x1600

6. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I'm sure you know this but you can just not connect a keyboard and mouse to the KVM and it will just switch the video. Unfortunately you're either going to A) pay a premium for something that uses Mini-DP or B) need to use a bunch of adapters.