MBP and/or MP, New or Refurb, wait or not? THANKS!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bearbo, Jan 12, 2007.

  1. bearbo macrumors 68000


    Jul 20, 2006
    okay... thanks for even looking at this thread, i know these aren't the most interesting reads.

    i've just gotten an replacement for my old 17" MBP CD, and returned it, because i no longer see the need for the 17" more than 15" (since 15" has FW800 and double layer SD). but that also means i am in need of computer(s)...

    i'm thinking about i'll get a MBP 15" as well as a Mac Pro, most likely stock config, probably with ATI X1900 and 2.66GHz as 3.0 doesn't make sense economically for me.

    im also thinking perhaps to get refurb unit as oppose to new one. since the MBP 15" is completely stock config, i might just get that refurbished(how much is refurb 15" anyway?). but the MP i want X1900, it doesn't make sense for me to get that refurbished anymore, right? i mean, i can hope i get free upgrades, but if i don't, i then won't save much money going that route since i have to then buy x1900 upgrade kit.

    another concern of mine is 15" MBP is experiencing grainy display problems, have anyone bought 15" MBP glossy and had no problem with the display? had anyone bought a MBP made after week 49? would refurb unit correct that problem since apple supposed to test and make sure its completely good before package it refurbished?

    (okay, i know no body ever knows and stuff) how likely, if at all, are MBP and or MP getting updated anytime soon? given even keynote didn't mention them?

    how are refurbished macs in general? i know they are getting new accessories, but what about the unit itself... i'm sure the component are gonna be just fine, but say if the unit originally have bad cosmetic condition, is refurbishing gonna ignore that? aka are there chances that the units i will get will have bad cosmetic condition and apple will say 'too bad for you!'?

    sorry about the long post, and i really thank those of you who took the time and read it. i hope to get some insight from you.
  2. DMBGuru macrumors regular

    Jan 11, 2007
    Tempe, AZ
    1. I hear the Mac Pro may be getting some sort of update soon as it's still only Revision A and is just about due for some sort of update.

    2. Refurb machines are like-new, just the components have been used in a previous machine. They give new exterior cases to all the products and each and every component has been given a thorough test.. it's almost completely "like-new," it's just not... which is why it's cheaper. I would get a refurb machine for my money, my parents won't let me though as I have to get my scholarship checks through them... lol. Either way, Apple won't screw you over, they have no reason to because you can just send it back... I'm sure it'd be safe to get a refurb - it's just older technology.
  3. dmw007 macrumors G4


    May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    I also expect that the Mac Pro will get an update in the near future. But when that will be I have no clue. :eek:

    If you decide to get a Mac Pro now, then I would buy it new. You might get lucky if you buy a refurbished one, but I doubt that it will come with all of the bonus parts (e.g., upgraded video card) that you are hoping for. :eek:

    As far as buying a refurbished MacBook Pro, all that I can say is that I have purchased a refurbished item from the Apple before (a 12" iBook G4) and it was in brand-new condition when it arrived. So based on my previous experience with Apple's refurbished products, I would not have a problem buying one of them again. :)
  4. bearbo thread starter macrumors 68000


    Jul 20, 2006

    i went ahead and bought the 15 incher matte... one of the more unsure purchase i've made. but it's a week 51 product, i dont know, if that makes much difference.

Share This Page