MBP and Printing issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rcmii, Jun 14, 2016.

1. rcmii macrumors newbie

I have been searching high and low for an answer and no one seems to have a solution...so reaching out to this forum to see if anyone here has any thoughts or answers.

Problem:
    When I send a print job from my Macbook to my wireless HP Printer (color laser), the print jobs print without a problem. However, several times a day, the print job doesn't connect with the printer. The only way that I have been able to get the print job to actually print is to unplug my modem and router for about 20 seconds (give or take) and then plug back in and let everything re-boot and sync back up with the HP Printer (color laser printer, if that matters). Then the job prints. The problem doesn't happen in a fixed number of print jobs...sometimes it works for days before it happens and sometimes I get one print job printed and then it's back to not printing.

Sometimes my wife prints from her Windows laptop and there doesn't seem to be an issue...but she rarely prints so I can't exactly say that its a laptop/Mac issue vs a printer issue (or maybe a modem/router cache issue).

Does anyone have this same problem? HP boards don't have answers and I'm at my wits end having to unplug/plug in my router/modem several times per day.

Thanks in advance if anyone has a solution or at least a thought on what I can try to resolve this.

Richard

2. JohnDS macrumors 65816

Sounds like it might be an IP address conflict. You could try setting the HP to a fixed IP address. Make sure you use an IP address in the same subnet as the rest of your LAN, but outside the range of IP addresses being handed out by your DCHP server.

For instance, if your DHCP server serves up IP addresses in the range 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150, use something like 192.168.1.200. Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet mask.

3. rcmii thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

One question as I'm not that familiar with computer details like that. Does that in any way make it easier for someone to get into my system? I do have a firewall and virus protection, etc., so I assume not...but I just don't know what all of those numbers actually do so I'm going to ask (despite possibly sounding ignorant/naive!).

Thanks again.

Richard