MBP and Quad Core, ideas when?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryuukumori, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

I am heavily leaning toward the MBP for college, and I need to ask.

What is the likelihood of quad core (of ANY degree) to release in the MBP before Autumn of 2009?

I would like to order one next summer with the iPod back to school promo. Waiting that long, and Quad Core has GOT to be around the corner.

Thoughts, ideas?

2. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

I say its highly likely that a quad core MBp will be released in the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2009. Im getting a current MBP now and will just sell mine then and upgrade to the new one. :apple:

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I heard that Apple wouldn't release that because of heat and power issues... But you never know what Steve Jobs is thinking.

Who knows, maybe 10 years from now, dual 16 cores will be in the low-end of laptops...

4. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

5. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

Fall of 2009, eh?

That would be killer. I really hope I get one right when the quad core launches.

6. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

If Moores Principal doesn't die out - by then we'll have at least that.

7. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

I wouldn't be surprised to see quad core MBPs in mid 2009 to early 2010.

8. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Its going to be awhile imo, even then its not going to be as big a deal as people seem to think...until the software catches up & is optimized for it.

9. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I personally think that MacBook Pro's will be shipping with Snow Leopard and Quad Cores in late 2009, probably before the Holidays, they'll use the Back-To-School to clear out stocks.

10. PostTribber macrumors member

animation...

just starting in animation, and my concern is whether to render with a dual core or quad core? if animation is going to be faster with nehalem, perhaps I should just forsake the laptop and get a desktop, since it will be down for extended periods while rendering.

11. ManWithhat macrumors regular

From wikipedia on nehalem processors:
    "Server and mobile Nehalem-based processors will follow in 2009 and 2010."

Now, expect the nehalem release to be late 2009 / early 2010, if it's on time. Then expect a few months later adoption by Apple, as is usually the case with new architectures. Also, if you just wait another year after that, the architecture is going to go through a shrink to 32 nm.

Personally, I bought now. The new processors in the unibodies are the last-gen on of the Core 2 breed. Any kinks processor-wise have been worked out, and the architecture has been optimized to the highest degree. I'll be updating after the nehalem architecture shrinks and Apple refreshes.

It also depends highly on what you're going to be using the computer for. The new i7 processors have shown VERY little improvement when gaming, but a significant boost when running video editing / Photoshop effects. I will be using mine for gaming and minor video editing / Adobe things, and the Adobe Suite runs well enough for me even on my current Blackbook.

12. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

So even now, the current laptops do fine.

The only problem is I don't want to purchase a notebook and find out the next update is a major quad core upgrade.

I would be happy nonetheless with purchasing before Autumn quarter 2009, and do the promo. It makes some sense that way.

If thought out, wouldn't the highest degree of core 2 duo by then compared to the INITIAL release of quad core be around the same performance? I'm using an example like on newegg.com, where quad core 2.4 ghz is cheaper than core 2 duo 3.2 ghz, by nearly $300! Is core 2 duo in that case much more powerful?

I would be happy if that is the case, and feel confident buying even before something new.

13. apolloa macrumors 604

apolloa

Simple, Nehalem is not due until the end of next year in laptops. So just watch what other manufacturers do and hope Apple will follow. You can already get quad core laptops, but it's a dream to imagine something the thickness of the Mac Book Pro will have one now. I don't think they will have them, but to be honest Nehalem is so much faster I wouldn't worry about it.

14. ManWithhat macrumors regular

If you're a student, you can buy an ADC membership for $100, and save an extra $100-200 (depending on your build) than the student store. It's up to you, though.

15. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

What's moore's law got to do with it? lol