MBP and SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bcburrows, May 9, 2009.

1. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this

I was considering getting an SSD but as they remain expensive came up with the following plan

I can afford a small ish one say 60Gb, but the only thing stopping this of being of great value to me is my music collection.

So wondered if anyone had any experience of using their MBP/MP/Mac with 60Gb SSD - using prob just OSX/iWork/iphoto/internet

I could then have my other programs on my FW drive and copy them over as and when....of course I can just move my music collection over to the external back up as well - rarely play music from my laptop anyway

This seems like a lot of hassle but to be honest my new unibody 2.66 has failed to live up to expectations and I wonder if this is the 5400 bottle neck it has in it

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

before you got the SSD route i would recommend trying a really good 7200rpm HDD such as the WD Scorpio Black or the seagate. i can say that it made a huge difference over the stock HDD. they are not going to be as fast as the SSD but at least you dont have to come up with complex plans for dealing with the small disk space of the SSD. and if it doesnt meet with your expectations you can always return it.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I would suggest that you purchase a decent 7200rpm hard drive and see it that helps. SSD's are expensive, I would wait until they come down in price and benefit from a larger capacity.

4. bcburrows thread starter macrumors 6502

bcburrows

The SSD

60GB OCZ for £90 which is about $135

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could also go the way the following company offers: http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/

Replace your superdrive with a fast and big non SSD drive, and have an SSD in the place of the normal HDD to boot Mac OS and applications from.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

you want to be careful with cheap ssd's some of them have very slow write speeds which would cause system hangs. There are a multitude of threads about good manufactures.