MBP and Time capsule question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iapplelove, Aug 31, 2012.

1. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Just bought a new MBP and after loading all my iTunes media and programs over from my old pc I want to start backing up this Mac. My question is can I use the time capsule without using wifi,will it still allow me to access the hard drive for backup purposes .

Eventually I will use it as my wireless router but for now and with roommates we are keeping the house router. I'm hoping I can just hook the TC right up to the Mac USB,would that work?

Thanks

2. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

Don't have Time Capsule yet, but Time Machine obviously works via the Ethernet (and I backup to a HDD that's on a second computer). So it has to work. You could probably (though I 'm not sure) connect the Time Capsule directly to your Mac through the ethernet port and it should work. Besides you can try: worst case scenario the Time Machine won't detect the hard drive ergo you'll know that a given way doesn't work.

3. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

or wifi

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I don't believe you can connect your computer to a Time Capsule via the USB ports, you have to access it either through the WiFi, or ethernet.

That being said ... I believe the Time Machine storage file format is different for directly connected disks (USB, FireWire, eSATA) than for NAS type devices (ethernet, WiFi). Thus a backup started with a direct connect, can't be incrementally updated later over the WiFi. As mentioned above, I don't think this is an issue with your Time Capsule since it can't be direct connected.

You can however, do your initial large TM backup to the TC over ethernet at maximum speed possible, then you are free to do additional incremental backups either over the ethernet wired connection or via WiFi wireless at a slower speed.

-howard

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You cannot connect it via USB. You could just turn off the wifi and used wired ethernet for backups if that is your concern.

6. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

You don't have to replace your existing "house" router with the Time Capsule, it can simply be a WiFi/backupdisk extension to the existing router (it will connect to your router via a ethernet cable.

That way you and your roommates can continue to utilize the existing house router without change, but you can access the TimeCapsule for WiFi network access and the backup disk.

-howard

7. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Thanks so much guys! Appreciate the response!!
    Think I'm just gonna use Ethernet connection for backups until I go wifi