Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeyondMountains

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Does anyone use this combination? How do you like it?

I currently have the option to buy a used Time Capsule (4th gen 2TB) for $150.00 and test it out for a day.

Is there anyway to test the health of the hdd inside? From my research, I've found that the hdd is tested automatically upon boot up and will notify you if there are issues.

Are there are any other ways of checking?

FastEddiebags

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2012
NJ
I've never been very good at backing my data up myself, so that's why I love my time capsule. Data transfer is slow but what do you expect with wifi.

BeyondMountains

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
I've never been very good at backing my data up myself, so that's why I love my time capsule. Data transfer is slow but what do you expect with wifi.

Yeah this solution seems ideal and for the asking price of $150 but I just want to make sure I'm not buying a dud

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003

Connecting it using Ethernet speeds things up.

It's the only way to do the initial backup without losing the will to live.

BeyondMountains

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Connecting it using Ethernet speeds things up.

It's the only way to do the initial backup without losing the will to live.

Its connected to my router via ethernet. wifi for the rMBP

any recommendation on scanning the clusters for problems?

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
I have been using a Time Capsule with MBP since 09 without any difficulty. I am especially happy with how easy the router sets up. My previous experience (admittedly over 3 years ago) with setting up a D-Link router left me drinking heavily (not necessarily a bad thing).

I would suggest that you compare the price of the used one with a new one. You're paying too much. I'd offer $50 max. On these relatively cheap things most people buy new leaving the used market pretty weak. Where else would the owner sell his TC?

BeyondMountains

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
I have been using a Time Capsule with MBP since 09 without any difficulty. I am especially happy with how easy the router sets up. My previous experience (admittedly over 3 years ago) with setting up a D-Link router left me drinking heavily (not necessarily a bad thing).

I would suggest that you compare the price of the used one with a new one. You're paying too much. I'd offer $50 max. On these relatively cheap things most people buy new leaving the used market pretty weak. Where else would the owner sell his TC?

It apparently is never used. When installing time machine, it didn't show any remains of an old back up but that could have been an easy delete. $50 for a 2tb seems too low.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
any recommendation on scanning the clusters for problems?

I am away from home, so can't confirm, but I believe if you install the older, full version of Airport Utility from here... in the Time Capsule tab there is a section there where you can reformat and check the drive.

This more full featured version of Airport Utility can reside side by side in the Utilities folder with the new slimmed down version of Airport Utility.

That is a pretty good price.

Like others mentioned, do the first backup wired so it will be faster, then subsequent wireless backups are pretty quick. TC works perfectly for me with my MBP.

Soulweaponry

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
I've thought about getting a time capsule for awhile but all the damn negative reviews on apple.com/amazon.com/bestbuy.com threw me off. It almost seemed like everybody came to a consensus that a time capsule will die just after a year.

Still...i really want one. Just can't have it die on me

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I've thought about getting a time capsule for awhile but all the damn negative reviews on apple.com/amazon.com/bestbuy.com threw me off. It almost seemed like everybody came to a consensus that a time capsule will die just after a year.

Still...i really want one. Just can't have it die on me

That seems to be more an issue with the older ones. Supposedly the newer models have a better design internally that will not die so soon. Forum complaints about early deaths do seem to have pretty much dropped to almost nothing.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
I have a 2TB Time Capsule that my iMac, MBP, and MBA all backup to. I love it. I've never had any issues with it at all. Time Capsule is suppose to warn you via AirPort utility if there are any problems and the light on the unit will turn from green to Blinking Amber if there is a problem as well.

I exclude certain folders from my backups though. Like my downloads folder. Usually if I download something once I install it I either move it to an external for keeping or delete it altogether and don't need that stored on the Backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.