Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bulldog3777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
I have a mid 2009 MBP 13 and I upgraded it to Snow Leopard. I was going to restore it to an earlier date with Time Machine. I tried to use the ORIGINAL disk with leopard but it said it could not do it due to the fact that I ow have SL. My assumption is that I would use the SL disk to restore? Just wanted to be sure before I messed things up.

seepel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
I'm not sure, but it sounds like you want to install a fresh copy of snow leopard and restore your entire system from an old leopard backup that is not your most recent backup? If this is the case I'm not sure how you would go about it. I believe that when you update after a fresh install it automatically takes the most recent backup, and I don't think you can get to a dialog to select a specific backup. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Maybe I misunderstand what you want to do though, in this case please elaborate.

Bulldog3777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
MBP and Time Machine

My backups on Time Machine are from SL. I just want to go back a week or so and restore. You can't use the original Leopard disk so I assume you use the SL disk that I used to do an upgrade from Leopard to SL.

seepel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
My backups on Time Machine are from SL. I just want to go back a week or so and restore. You can't use the original Leopard disk so I assume you use the SL disk that I used to do an upgrade from Leopard to SL.

So you want to restore the entire system? Is there a reason you don't want to go back and just grab the individual files?

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008

Right.
Boot off of the SL disk and you can select which date to back-up to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.