MBP and Viewsonic VX2235wm monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drambuie, Jan 3, 2011.

1. drambuie macrumors 6502a

I don't know if it was in MacRumors, or another forum, but I think I saw a post to the the effect that the VX2235wm monitor doesn't play ball with the MBP. Can anybody shed light on this before I buy a mini-displayport to DVI adapter? A "Yes it works," would be good, but then again, if it's "No," I'm visualizing a shiny new 27" ACD in my future.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

I have a Viewsonic VX2439WM that works fine with my MBP13. It primarily is connected to my work laptop via DVI, and in off-hours may connect to my mid-2010 MBP13 via HDMI. Easy to swap between the two with a button press.

I don't have a miniDisplayPort to DVI adapter, just VGA and HDMI, so I can't test DVI with Macbook Pro.

Hope this helps.

3. drambuie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here's a follow-up for anyone interested in the above configuration. I bought an Apple minidisplayport to DVI adapter at Bestbuy, and had no success with the Viewsonic. I was going to try VGA by attaching a DVI to VGA dongle to the Apple DVI adapter, but no joy there. The dongle requires DVI-I and the Apple adapter only has pin sockets for DVI-D.

I exchanged the DVI adapter for a minidisplayport to VGA one. Success! The MBP immediately found and recognized the Viewsonic by model number, and even installed the correct color profile. The monitor's resolution is 1680x1050 which is the same as on my MBP's 15" hi res antiglare screen. Also, this monitor's screen is just as sharp on VGA as it is on DVI.

The bottom line is that, if you're having difficulty getting an MBP to connect to an external monitor by DVI, try VGA. It will most likely work.

4. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

I went through the same **** with my Viewsonic (don't know the model but it's 27.5in 1920x1200). I had a presentation to give that day at school and I rushed to the Apple store to get the cables...thank god I got the VGA as well. The DVI cable I had at home was DVI-I.

Would be great if they just put a damn HDMI/mini port on them.