Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danny Futuro

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
I'm about to take the plunge on a new machine, and I'm wondering if the 17" SR MBP's are worth using for HD video work. I'm a student for now, but I'd really like this thing to last for a while, at least until I graduate and get some work in the industry. Display issues aside (I'll be using an external ACD), is the MBP going to have enough oomph to render HD video without crapping out in a year or so? My other option is a Mac Pro, but I'd prefer some portability if I can get it reliably. Anyone?

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
17" will be amazing. Which external will you be using? FCP will run easily on it.

AVR2

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
I'm using FCP and Motion on my MacBook Pro 17" (2.16GHz 2Gb RAM), and they both run like a charm.

AviationFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Danny,

for Final Cut Pro, your performance will be mostly determined by the speed of your render/capture disk, which is more of a bottleneck than your MacBook Pro, so get a fast external harddrive - consider a RAID for better performance if you plan to step up to higher-bitrate codecs or multicam editing. For simple HDV stuff, even a FW400 drive will do, even though I'd suggest a FW800 drive so you leave the FW400 port on your MBP for the camera or an audio interface (for proper audio monitoring).

If you plan to edit at all while traveling, spend the extra hundred bucks and get a high-res screen.

You'll love it!

[Edited to add: Motion may be a slightly different story - as your projects become more complex, there will be a point where ANY computer is too slow to keep up. You'll reach this point sooner with a MBP than with a high-end Mac Pro. You can still do incredible things with Motion on a MBP, though.]

- Martin

giantdave

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2007
searcy, arkansas/b~town, in
i work at a small television station and i edit high school sports on a mbp with an external hdd. works great, never had any problems with the program, just difficult editing from my own stupidty;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.