MBP apple care question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mayoko185, May 25, 2008.

1. mayoko185 macrumors member

I have read around that replacing the HDD does not void the warranty as long as long as I dont muck up the laptop. Now about 4-5 months ago I replaced my 160GB 5200 rpm drive with a 200GB 7200 rpm one and everything has been fine but I need to call in apple care for the battery (it only lasts about 15 min after using it 'lightly' for a year) and keyboard issues (the backlight wont turn on sometimes or will randomly turn itself on and off, and some keys dont work anymore). The battery thing is an old issue iv been lazy to call it in cuz I dont need to run on it to often, however I NEED a working keyboard.

Now to the question lol, If I send it in for repair do I run the chance of them replacing the HDD with the original modal or can I tell them to LEAVE the HDD alone? (and the ram too as I upgraded it to 4GB and no longer have the original pair).

sorry question came out a little long winded :rolleyes:

EDIT: I also have one of those macstyles decal things too, they shouldn't care about that right?

2. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

If I were you, I'd take restore the MBP back to its original hardware state if you have to send it in. Meaning so, put the original RAM and original HDD back in. That way, they can't say that something YOU did caused the muck up.

3. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I keep my original hardware for just such an instance. If I had problems I would replace it before returning the machine to Apple. Even if they can tell that you have opened the case (and they can) there's not a lot they can do about it as long as the original hardware is present (unless you've mucked up the case somehow...)

MacDann

4. SamoanDude macrumors regular

I don't see either of these issues getting anywhere near the hard drive. I wouldn't bother going through replacing the hard drive, that is a lot of work

5. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Not really. If you've done it before it's a 20 minute job. I figure it minimizes the potential for Apple displacing blame on to me if there is a question about a failure or problem.

MacDann

6. SamoanDude macrumors regular

I have done it before. The second time I did it a screw thread holder broke off and I had a gaping hole there :(. It must have gotten bent somehow when I was trying to put the cover on.

7. RealaT macrumors regular

I'm in this situation as I replaced the HDD in my MBP as soon as i recieved it and now (6 months later) it has developed a fault that needs it to go in for repair.

I replaced the original HDD but not the RAM as I no longer have it. I'll let you know if Apple make an issue about the fact i've had the lid off.

8. mayoko185 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah im starting to wish I kept my original ram (I gave em to a freind who needed more mem, they were just gathering dust anyways lol). I still have HDD laying around that I could swap back in though.

I prob end up doing the same. Do you guys think I should tell the person over the phone that it has diff ram so they dont swap em out by mistake, or should I not worry about it?

lol ill be lost without my laptop while its gone, I have an old gateway lapy around here but its not that same :p

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They will test the RAM slots, so if they find it's the RAM they will take the RAM out and send it back to you so you can replace the RAM yourself.