MBP Apple care

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by omar4578, Apr 6, 2011.

1. omar4578 macrumors regular

omar4578

so i just bought my MBP i was wondering how many days i have until i can buy apple care? is it only 30 days after original purchase?

i am a total neat freak so im sure i wont spill anything on my comp and i very much do care for my equipment, but there is always that "just in case" scenario, and right now 350 for apple care really chokes my wallet...

sorry if this is a repost but i did a quick search and found nothing.

2. simsaladimbamba

365 days.

from http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html
    via "apple care mac"

3. LightSpeed1 macrumors 6502a

LightSpeed1

They didn't tell me that when i purchased mine. The guy made it sound like when I left the store that was it.

4. omar4578 thread starter macrumors regular

omar4578

5. omar4578 thread starter macrumors regular

omar4578

yup same here, thats why i was confused

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You have a year to buy applecare and generally speaking if you registered your mac and provided an email address, they'll tell you about that you need to buy it soon as the year will be up.

7. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Lots of places have targets for staff or bonuses for certain sales numbers. Extended warranties are very profitable for consumer electronics, so staff often push you to buy them.

Here in the UK, you have a legal "cooling off" period where you can cancel an extended warranty (I think it is 14 days). Sometimes a member of staff will give you a discount on a product if you agree to buy the extended warranty and cancel it later- they still get the sale!

8. scott.n macrumors 6502

AppleCare is a hardware warranty, not an insurance policy that protects against user clumsiness. "Spills" are not covered. See paragraph 1.b.ii here: http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/NA_APP_English_v5.3.pdf

Also note that there are two different versions of AppleCare for MacBooks, one for models 13" and smaller, and one for the 15" and 17" MBPs.

9. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

10. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

right now 350 for apple care really chokes my wallet...

$244, no tax (outside of NY) and free shipping should ease the choke. B&H is extremely reputable the only place I would buy AC. They are also a great place to buy a Mac as they have BTO models in stock, free shipping and no tax (outside of NY) and small discounts off list. B&H and Amazon are great places to buy a Mac.

11. omar4578 thread starter macrumors regular

omar4578

12. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

From Amazon....Your item must have been bought on Amazon. If you bought your item elsewhere, please call SquareTrade at 1.877.WARRANTY.
    It’s only available in the U.S. SquareTrade is currently only available to residents of the 50 US states. 1.877.WARRANTY. That’s the SquareTrade phone number. Call us 24/7 — an agent is always happy to assist you.

I would just go for AC for $244 from the link I had above. It is always best to have the manufacturers repair the item since they know it inside and out.

13. omar4578 thread starter macrumors regular

omar4578

true, and its only 44 bux more, thanks dude, ill be shure to bookmark it for the future

14. Kendo macrumors 68000

Most major credit cards offer an extra year of warranty. So if your MacBook Pro needs to be repaired in the 2nd year and you bring it into the Apple Store, you foot the bill for the repair but your credit card company pays you back. I plan on getting AppleCare with my iMac but it is just too expensive for the MacBook Pro.

15. omar4578 thread starter macrumors regular

omar4578

is there a TERM for this so i can google it? or a web page you can direct me to? this seems interesting.

16. Kendo macrumors 68000

It is pretty common. Just Google "credit card extended warranty." Call your credit card company to confirm but the major ones should offer it. I have a Chase Freedom Visa and they provide it.

I plan on purchasing an iMac with AppleCare with my credit card to get a total of 4 years. The best part is that the credit card warranty doesn't kick in until the original warranty is complete.

17. omar4578 thread starter macrumors regular

omar4578

wow, nice thanks, i hope capital one will do so, (highly doubt) but its worth a try :cool:

18. Kendo macrumors 68000

All you have to do is call the number on the back of your card and ask. Don't worry, they won't think your question is insane. :)

19. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    amex told me this does not apply to uk customers - sucks
    lucky i have apple care

20. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

That's because anyone with a credit card in the UK effectively has it in law.

We have section 14 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979, which says everything should be of satisfactory quality and last a reasonable length of time. So if your Mac is faulty out of warranty and you didn't cause the problem Apple may well have to repair it, so long as it is within the expected lifetime of the product (3 years reasonable?).

Then the UK has section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. This says that for any purchase on credit between £100 and £30000 the creditor is joint and severally liable with the seller. So you can go after them as well.

In other words, it doesn't matter if amex offer an extended warranty or not, they are bound by section 75.

Read about UK consumer law! It is fantastic!

21. omar4578 thread starter macrumors regular

omar4578

i hate the fact that europe has all these great things for the commoner... damn USA and their politics screwing things up, seems like united health care is never comming, not that i want it or anything :rolleyes:

22. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

At what price??? Also, Europeans do not have it great at all with VAT tax - which may come to a US if some politicians have their way. For now we can buy products like Macs from places like Amazon or B&H Photo and no have to pay any tax at all (I bought my 2010 15" MBP from amazon for $1675 no tax/free ship while my local Apple store would be $1,799 + 7%). VAT tax is what, 20%.

Don't thing they have it good, they just have it different - sometimes better and sometimes worse. Ask them how much is cost to buy gas for the car? ;)

23. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Petrol or diesel, people buy petrol or diesel for their cars here. ;)

I'm reasonably happy with higher prices because I know I don't have to bother with AppleCare etc. Most people are unaware of this, I bet they would be much happier if they knew.

24. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Not entirely true. Although your laws guarantee the product will work, without AppleCare, Apple has no right to "support" you for the entire time. They still have the right to charge you for the technical support to correct the problems that may arise. Sometimes the support charges are more than the replacement charges, and like anywhere even though the protection is there sometimes the legal battle to get it covered is more than the cost of the actual replacement product. Big corporations know this and hire groups of lawyers to contest suits to make the battle too costly for the plaintiff (you're not always guaranteed court and legal costs when/ if you win), thereby guaranteeing their position.

25. iStudentUK, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Apple can charge you for a software issue for example, but they can't if the device is faulty. The way they can get money from you is to make the phone call expensive. However, solve this by claiming it back, going in store or going to www.saynoto0870.com, to find a free or geographic number (one of the best sites on the web for UK peeps!).

If there is a simple problem in a consumer case 99% of the time it goes to "small claims", which isn't technically a court, strictly speaking it is a procedure. Here, it costs £25 to start a proceeding if you are claiming <£300, or £35 <£500, or £60 <£1000. You get this back if you win, and if you lose you don't have to pay the other side's costs. In small claims a consumer almost always represents themselves.

In actual fact, a lot of the time big companies never show up for these small claims so you win pretty much by default. Even when they do Judges are very sympathetic to consumers and the law is on their side as well!

I've never had to go as a lot of the time big companies pay up well before court- it is all about getting someone relatively high up to hear about your issue. I know people who have (as well as some people on here) and they are usually successful. The key is to enjoy the game, not to take it personally.